Thursday, December 17, 2020

Pheaturing Christopher Walken

 

Hey, kids, welcome to the Phile for a Thursday, how are you doing? Bundle up people, it looks like mother nature is about to cause a chili commotion. With winter starting just a few days away, Mother Nature has begun to roll out a full-blown monster of a winter storm. Winter weather radar showed the storm taking shape this morning, as meteorologists predicted heavy snow, ice, and freezing rain stretching from the Ohio Valley all the way down to the southeast as the storm began taking aim at mid-Atlantic and the northeast. According to AccuWeather meteorologists, the storm is moving fast, and although it’s poised to bring snowfall rates of 2 to 3 inches per hour at its peak, the quick speed will prevent the system from turning into “snowmageddon” at least in most major Interstate 95 cities. But, the team cautioned to make no mistake since the storm is expected to bring white-out and blizzard conditions to some places and result in separate power outages where the storm hits the hardest. The National Weather Service issued winter storm watches and warnings across numerous states spanning from North Carolina to Maine ahead of the storm. There is more snow anticipated from developing nor’easter than from all the other storms last winter combined in Philadelphia, New York, Washington D.C., and Boston. This is said to be a major storm in New York City, with snow is forecasted to pile up in depth of about 10 to 15 inches. According to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, “This is going to be a serious storm... and people need to take it seriously.” Along with New York City, other Northern New Jersey and parts of Connecticut may create even more snow than that. The New York City Department of Sanitation released a tweet saying that they had pre-deployed 700 salt spread and over 1,300 plow trucks that will begin to roll out across the city. This could be the biggest snowstorm New York City has seen in several years, which De Blasio, officials and the MTA urged people to avoid traveling unless necessary. Times Square received its first sprinkle of snow on Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 p.m., according to life EarthSky camera. Several forecasters are expecting worsening snow and wind throughout the week. De Blasio decided to cancel in-person learning for public schools due to the storm. Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker also urged residents to take caution while outdoors after what he described as a very mild fall. He stayed “we clearly haven’t had to deal with something like this in quite some time.” The Governor State of Massachusetts is deploying 3,800 pieces of snow clearing equipment ahead of time across 15,000 miles of roadway. Similar winter storm warnings were also given as far south as North Carolina, where the state’s Emergency Management agency urged drivers to use caution if have to be on the road. New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy declared a state of emergency for the Garden State. He stated, “This will be a statewide weather event and every county is currently under either a watch or a warning of some sort.” Strong winds are expected in the southern coastal region that does not expect as much snow. But gusty winds and possible thunderstorms could cause whiteout conditions and several power outages across the region. Snow is expected to continue to fall in New England throughout this morning, with most of the East Coast of precipitation ending by sunset today. Forecasters predicted ahead of the storm that a region stretching from Maine to Virginia could expect between 3 to 6 inches of snow accumulation. According to the National Weather Service, North Virginia could get snow, sleet, and up to a quarter-inch of ice, and Maryland activated a Statewide response for a storm that could see a foot of snow. As far as Pennsylvania, Gov. Tom Wolf signed a proclamation of a disaster emergency ahead of the storm which authorized the state use of purchase and resources. Central Pennsylvania might get as much as 24 inches of snow, according to forecasters. Here in Florida... we are fine. Haha.

Good news, cartoon lovers! Next year in 2021 is looking pretty great if you ask me! I don’t know about you, but when I was younger I LIVED for Saturday mornings. My sister and I used to wake up so early to watch our favorite characters. I don’t know, maybe it’s the holiday season that is making me nostalgic and is getting me to reminisce my childhood, but when I saw this news, I was thrilled. Maybe I’m showing my age here a little bit but I’m sure we can all remember when the classic cartoons would make everyone’s day. You had Tom and Jerry, Daffy Duck, and Marvin the Martian. So, here’s something that’s gonna take you back to the good old days. Apparently, Saturday cartoons are coming back. Yes, you read that right, no I promise I’m not kidding. Starting in 2021, MeTV is bringing back your favorite Saturday morning cartoons, as they should. On January 2nd at 7 a.m. MeTV will offer a three-hour all cartoons, “all the time block." So, time to grab your tasty breakfast, let’s face it we all know it’s Lucky Charms, and get ready to spend your Saturday morning while still in your pajamas watching your favorite cartoons, because they are bac,k baby. Apparently, each hour will feature a collection of cartoons featuring Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes, "Popeye and Friends," and Tom and Jerry. Tom and Jerry began as a series of Comedy short films created in 1940 by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. The series centers on the rivalry between a rather energetic cat named Tom and a mouse named Jerry. Hanna and Barbera produced 114 Tom and Jerry shorts for MGM from 1940 to 1958. During that time they won seven Academy Awards for Best Animated Short Film. At one point, it even became the highest-grossing animated short film series of that time, beating the popular Looney Tunes. Looney Tunes, on the other hand, was produced by Warner Bros from 1930 to 1969 during the Golden Age of American animation. It introduced several characters such as bat Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, Wile E. Coyote, Tweety, Sylvester, Roadrunner, Pepe Le Pew, Speedy Gonzales, and Tasmania Devil to name a few. After Bugs Bunny became a breakout recruiting star, Looney Tunes went to color in the early 1940s. He is now regarded as a cultural icon and has an actual Hollywood Walk of Fame. All these theatrical cartoon shorts came from the amazing minds of animation legends such as Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, William Hanna, Joseph Barbera, and Max Fleischer. And yes, they remain as beautiful and as funny as you remember them. I don’t know about you, but I am ready to say goodbye to 2020 and this COVID pandemic and jump right to 2021 to get on with watching my Saturday morning shows. Your move "The Flintstones" and "The Jetsons."

Yikes, just look at this mug shot...

If this doesn’t yell scary, I don’t know what will. An Hamden woman is now facing animal cruelty charges after police found her in possession do more than 30 animals. Back on October 26th, the Hamden’s Animal Control division, with help from several other animal control units, executed a search warrant at the home of 59-year-old Donna Scirocco. Upon entering the home, several police officers were created by two large rats, and inside found twenty-six cats, two caged squirrels, a blind owl, and six dogs. Hamden police stated that one of the dogs was desperately trying to clean for its life. According to Capt. Ronald Smith, “Upon entering the residence, animal control officers were greeted by two large rats,” and a dead woodchuck. There were also several taxidermy animals inside Scirocco’s home. In addition, there were also some dead animals stuffed by a taxidermist. Authorities stated that on December 15th Scirocco turned herself in and was arrested. She was charged with six counts of animal cruelty and is being held on the court-ordered $5,000 Bond. As far as how or why she had that many animals, authorities are still investigating the case. Putting my two cents in here, I just think this woman really liked animals. But by the sight of her face, and by the taxidermist findings, let’s just hope she wasn’t doing anything harmful to these little guys. It’s insane though, imagine living in a small home with all of these animals. Imagine having 26 cats! That is insane. I can’t be the only one who’s thinking this right? Good Lord. Imagine having to clean up all that poop, not only from the cat’s butt from the dog’s, squirrels, and rats! Good Lord. Nope.

A poor woman had no idea what was coming for her, but also, her reaction didn’t really make sense either. NYPD released a video of a 32-year-old woman getting slapped in the face by some random person with an obviously horrific attitude, as she walked outside of a laundromat in the Bronx. There’s not much known about how or why this happened, but the shock radiating from this victim’s body language was enough to say that she probably wasn’t expecting it. Police say she had just walked out of Clean Rite Center on Southern Boulevard near Jennings Street around 10:30 a.m. Her attacker had just come from the 174th Street 2 and 5 subway station coming towards her. Here's a screenshot...

From the video, it looks like they were about to run into each other as both victim and attacker were coming from their respective spaces. And yes, obviously there are precautions that are being taken nowadays, ever since COVID-19 forced everyone into lockdown. So staying six feet apart, especially in New York, is important. But instead of both moving away from each other, the attacker straight up slaps her as he walks by, continuing to walk away in the direction that he was originally going. The woman also strangely continues to walk away in the direction she’s going, the opposite way of her attacker, probably confused as to what just happened. Did her attacker think that he could slap the coronavirus away or something? Regardless, she was taken to Lincoln Medical Center but is in stable condition. Police officers said that her attacker is a 25-30-year-old man who is about five foot nine, around 180 pounds. He was wearing a blue sweatshirt and gray sweatpants and carrying a handbag. At least he didn’t have a machete or hold her at gunpoint. Again, I’m not sure what truly was the back story here, but maybe be wary if you’re anywhere in New York, whether it’s in NYC or Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, etc. You may get randomly slapped. I do feel bad for whoever tries to slap me though. I would probably, out of an innocent reaction, slap back. 

"The Mandalorian" star Gina Carano can't seem to escape controversy and now, she is once again under fire for, you guessed it, another tweet that didn't sit well with a lot of people. Carano, who is allegedly an anti-mask movement supporter has previously stated that she doesn't believe in the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines and she got a ton of heat for her remarks. A week after she called for open discussions with her fans and followers regarding coronavirus-related arguments, Gina has seemingly stood her ground and insisted on her support for the anti-mask movement. Sharing a viral video of a store clerk "harassing" a customer for not wearing a safety mask inside what looks to be a shopping center, Gina mocked the situation and wrote...


Her post which I'm assuming was meant to look and sound funny garnered backlash from Twitter users who are once again criticizing Carano for her apparent support of the anti-mask movement amidst the global health crisis. There's really no stopping Gina, and regardless if she rubs people the wrong way, she'll always be firm with what she believes in. Freedom of speech, I guess? 

Some NFL teams have changed their logos this year, like this one...



Haha. You heard of Elf on the Shelf? Well, get ready for...


If you're looking for a Christmas card for your boyfriend or husband how about this one, people?


So, do you watch that "Antique Roadshow" TV show? They have some very odd items on there sometimes like this...


Hahaha. That's fucking creepy. So, today's guest is one of my favorite actors... Christopher Walken.I bet you didn't know he was in the Winnie the Pooh books back in the day. No? I'll prove it to you...


Hahahaha. That made me laugh. Hey, it's Thursday, kids, do you know what that means?



Man oh man! Ouch! Trauma leads to trust issues. Unfortunately, if someone breaks our trust at a previous point in our relationship with them, it makes it very hard to begin trusting them again. This is where 32-year-old Phile reader found himself... his 34-year-old brother seriously betrayed his trust 15 years ago. Now his trust is being put to the test again. He made a decision and gave his brother an ultimatum, but he doesn’t know if he’s in the right or if he overreacted. To get some perspective on this, he went to the Phile to discern if he went too far. 


"Am I wrong for kicking my brother out because I am uncomfortable with him being alone in my house with my wife while I’m not there? I’ve been married to my wife for 7 years and with her for 11 years. From ages 16 to 20 I dated a girl who I consider my first love. Our relationship came to a grinding halt when I found out she had been sleeping with my older brother. This was the greatest betrayal I’ve ever experienced and me and my brother weren’t on speaking terms for 5 years. Fast forward to now, when things have healed but emotions are still high. Recently my brother lost his job and had to move out of his apartment he had nowhere to go so I let him live with me. For obvious reasons I don’t trust him alone around my wife. I’m in the Air Force and I just found out that I have a temporary duty assignment in 3 weeks. I really am thankful that I have this long to get my affairs in order, as I’ve gotten 5 day notice before. But as I was saying in 3 weeks I’m leaving. I told my brother that I needed him to find a new place to live before the 3 weeks was up. He asked why and I told him I didn’t want him around my wife alone. He got mad at for not forgiving him for something he did almost 15 years ago. I told him I have but I still can’t trust him like I used to. When I told my wife about it she got mad and accused me of not trusting her to not fuck my brother. I told her none of this was about her it was about him and she was still mad with me. Am I wrong?" As much as you're saying he doesn’t trust the brother, you're also implying you don't trust the wife to not consensually fuck your brother. You haven’t really forgiven someone if you still don’t trust them. Your wife is not your ex-girlfriend, she is not 20 years old either, assuming that something might happen offends her personality, and shows that you have little faith in her loyalty. What your brother did back then was wrong, but it doesn’t give you the right to question her loyalty, and by not trusting that nothing will happen between them, it is exactly what you do. If you are afraid that your brother is going to pressure her into doing something she doesn’t want then you are a major asshole for allowing him to move in in the first place, but I do not believe that you consider your brother abusive, you are just terribly insecure, and this might cost you your relationship. Unless you’re concerned he’d assault her, it takes two to tango and she’s right that you’re acting like she’s going to jump into the sack with him the second you’re gone. It’s absolutely about you not trusting your wife. It takes two to cheat, you know. Your brother could want to sleep with your wife but if your wife doesn’t want to, it won’t happen. Unless you think she’s so weak and susceptible to being hit on that she’ll just drop her panties the moment he smiles at her. Unfortunately, your insecurity surrounding both your wife and your brother may ruin a couple of relationships here. Unless you're able to work through it and trust your wife, it looks like you may stay at fault in this situation, even if his brother leaves. If you have a problem you'd like my opinion on then email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. Good luck, kids.




If you spot the Mindphuck let me know. Okay, let's take a live look at Port Jefferson, shall we? I am dying to see if there's snow there...


Yes!!!!! Finally!!! Is it weird that a part of me wishes I was there? I love it! Look at that fresh snow! Okay, a friend of the Phile who is Native Indian wanted to say something about the Cleveland Indians and the whole name thing. He's a singer, patriot, and renaissance man, you know what time it is...


The Cleveland Indians are shedding the name and logo they’ve gone by for over 100 years... because somehow this injures the indigenous people of North America. Apparently raping and murdering Native Americans while stealing their land doesn’t injure them... but having native themed team names with cartoonish mascots does... that’s just an insane and ill informed way of thinking. But even if it wasn’t batshit crazy do you honestly think changing the names and mascots is somehow making the situation right? I mean if you feel THAT strongly about it, just give the entire land mass, from sea to shining sea.. back to the Indigenous People. I’m half Abenaki... I’ll take my piece of Manhattan back. Dear Paleface, stop worrying about stupid shit while the country you stole from us spirals down the drain. Signed, Every Native American.



The 142nd book to be pheatured in the Phile's Book Club is...


Cathy Goldsmith who helped put this book together and who once worked for Dr. Seuss will be on the Phile on Monday. 


There was a competition to cross the English channel doing only the breaststroke, and the three women who entered the race were a brunette, a redhead and a blonde. After approximately 14 hours, the brunette staggered up on the shore and was declared the fastest. About 40 minutes later, the redhead crawled up on the shore and was declared the second place finisher. Nearly 4 hours after that, the blonde finally came ashore and promptly collapsed in front of the worried onlookers. When the reporters asked why it took her so long to complete the race, she replied, "I don't want to sound like I'm a sore loser, but I think those two other girls were using their arms..." 



I am sooooo excited about this. Today's pheatured guest is an American actor, singer, comedian, director, producer, screenwriter, and dancer, who has appeared in more than 100 films and television programs including Annie Hall, The Deer Hunter, The Dogs of War, The Dead Zone, A View to a Kill, King of New York, Batman Returns, True Romance, Pulp Fiction, Joe Dirt, Catch Me If You Can, Click, Hairspray, The Jungle Book, and Irreplaceable You. He has received a number of awards and nominations, including the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for The Deer Hunter. He was nominated for the same award and won BAFTA and Screen Actors Guild Awards for Catch Me If You Can. His films have grossed more than $1 billion in the United States alone. His latest film Percy is available on Blu-ray. Please welcome to the Phile... Christopher Walken!


Me: Hello, sir. I'm a huge fan of yours. How are you? Welcome to the Phile, sir. 

Christopher: Hello, Jason, great to be here. 

Me: When did you first start acting, sir? 

Christopher: I grew up in Queens, New York City by the time I was ten I was standing on stages with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. 

Me: Oh, wow, that is so cool. I first heard about you from A View to a Kill, but have seen you in so many movies. Do you know how many you've been in? 

Christopher: Over a hundred movies and TV shows. 

Me: So, your new movie Percy you are on a combine. Is that your first? 

Christopher: Absolutely. I've spent some time driving it and actually it's a lot of fun. You have to have a very big open space to operate that but I enjoyed that very much. In fact, when I was a kid I rode go-carts, I don't know if you remember those. 

Me: I do, but I never had or drove one. 

Christopher: Well, it's like driving something not too fast. Just the size of the machine is what's the most impressive. 

Me: So, tell me what the new movie is about, sir. 

Christopher: I play a small-town Canadian farmer in his 70s who takes on a biotech giant, risking everything: his farm, his livelihood and even the future of global food production. The film is based on the true story of Saskatchewan farmer Percy Schmeiser, who was taken to court by Monsanto in the late 1990s for patent infringement on the biotech corporation’s seed. 

Me: Was the movie filmed in Saskatchewan? 

Christopher: No, it was mostly shot in Winnipeg and in farming communities in Southern Manitoba. 

Me: What's it like there? I always wanted to explore Canada. 

Christopher: I spent a lot of time in Canada, in particular in the theater when I was young. But I hadn't been to the farm part in the middle of Winnipeg. I loved it, it was clean, the air and the water. I really had a good time there. I stayed in a really nice old hotel in Winnipeg and drove about 45 minutes outside to farm country where we worked on this families farm. The family was in residence and we used their house and equipment. It was a kind of vacation really, I had a wonderful time. 

Me: Did you know the story of Percy Schmeiser before you saw the script? 

Christopher: Once I got involved with it I got to know a little bit of the story. 

Me: What was it like to play Percy? 

Christopher: Well, there was a scene where I talked to a room of big people and I'm quite nervous. It sounds like it. He's talking to an audience, he's a man who's not accustomed for that. 

Me: So, you're not Canadian, so how did you get the part? 

Christopher: When I was about to do the movie six months before we started Clark Johnson came to my house and we sat and I said to him, "I'm born and raised in New York. Why me?" And he said, "Don't worry about it." So I thought okay, I'll be a farmer. 

Me: How were you able to connect with it? 

Christopher: Well, I just did the best I can. There are actors who are chameleons and they become other people, full of detail and all that. But for me my whole career any part I play a good part of it is just me. So I looked at it that way, who would I be if I was in that situation. I tried to absorb the atmosphere I was in and read a little about the real Percy. I saw a lot of pictures of him and his story and actually met him. 

Me: What was it about the story about Percy that drew you in? 

Christopher: Well, I didn't know much about it but to me it was about big powerful companies that was indestructible. They had patens and laws that allowed them to sue small independent farmers and a lot of people got bankrupted and put out of business. Somebody called this a David and Goliath story, I don't know if I'd go that far. It certainly had some of those qualities. 

Me: Does the role feel different playing someone who actually existed and is still alive? 

Christopher: Well, I suppose it should. But it doesn't to me because I'm not capable of that. I can't get inside somebody else, I can only be an actor in reference to myself and try to imagine how I would be in those circumstances. That's what this is. 

Me: Some actors are the opposite of that, sir. When did you realize that's how you wanted to be? 

Christopher: You make a very good point. For me early on when I was a young actor I tried to be a chameleon. I did a lot of research, tried to get inside the other characters, but I realized pretty quickly that I wasn't good at that. What I was good at was finding myself in things. Usually I was my best when I managed to do that. Still when I remember that about myself I usually do okay. 

Me: It sounds like a good risk that paid off, am I right? 

Christopher: Yes, exactly. But its coming to terms with certain things I have to know my limitations what I'm good at. 

Me: Do you think other artists struggle with what they're not and unwilling to accept what they are? 

Christopher: Well yes, I think you're really right about that. 

Me: So, how was it growing up in Queens, New York? 

Christopher: Well, with New York I think it was John Lennon who said that New York is what Rome was 2,000 years ago. It's the center of the world. Anybody whose been to New York has an idea about that. New York has these five Burroughs, the Bronx and Brooklyn and Staten Island and Queens. Queens is where I'm from. They're all part of that they call Greater New York, Manhattan. I was born in Queens and grew up in Manhattan because that's where show business was. It was just fifteen minutes on the subway from where I lived. It's very busy. Packed together and busy streets and people grow up fast. It certainly is a long way from Winnipeg. But as I grew older I came to really like the quite outdoors clean water. That's why I enjoyed being in Winnipeg in the farm country so much. I really look forward in going to work every day. We were on this farm and I'd walk around in the fields and the man who owned the farm actually leant me some of his clothing to wear. It was more of a vacation, more of an exciting adventure. 

Me: You mentioned you performed with Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin when you were a kid. What was that for? 

Christopher: "The Colgate Comedy Hour."   

Me: So, what was that like? 

Christopher: A certain kind of education. A unique education because it came with those circumstances. New York City after the second World War was when television got born. I don't know if you remember any of these things but that was live television, it was before there was videotape. There were 90 live television shows coming out of New York every week. It started and it stopped and if we made a mistake it was right there on camera in front of everybody and it was with Uncle Milty and Sid Caesar and the "Colgate Comedy Hour." On family TV they used kids a lot, we did't necessarily have much to do but we were there. It was a certain kind of education that I don't think I could have had anywhere else. 

Me: Do you think that's the reason you're so good on "Saturday Night Live"? 

Christopher: That's true. I was never intimidated by it, it was always fun. Plus "Saturday Night Live" like early television we get to use cue cards. Cue cards are absolutely wonderful. I wish I could use cue cards all the time. I wish I could use cue cards in my daily life. 

Me: I wish I could use cue cards when I go to Starbucks. Hahaha. 

Christopher: Yeah, coffee shop, just read it. 

Me: You made so many movies, sir, what keeps you interested in working? 

Christopher: Well, I've been working since I was 5-years-old. Roberta Maxwell who played my wife in the movie is a wonderful stage actress who I worked with in the theater 50 years ago and continuing to know her. There's something about doing things live which is a little bit like trapeze flying with the risk involved. 

Me: Do you still dance? 

Christopher: I don't. Professional dancers hardly ever dance except when they're in a show. They don't go to parties and start dancing. 

Me: Because they don't want to show anybody up?

Christopher: No, it's not that, they just want to dance for money. 

Me: Christopher, I know you have to go. I hope now to get the real Percy Schmeiser on the Phile and interview him. 

Christopher: Actually, Jason, I have some sad news for you. Percy Schmeiser passed away on October 13th this year after suffering from Parkinson's disease at the age of 89. 

Me: Oh, wow. Shit. That sucks. So sorry to hear that, sir. Thanks so much for being on the Phile. Please come back again and I'd love to talk to you about your other movies and career. 

Christopher: Sure, Jason. Take care.




That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to my guests Laird Jim and of course Christopher Walken. The Phile will be back tomorrow with musician Josh Ritter. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Kiss your brain. 

























I don't want you, cook my bread, I don't want you, make my bed, I don't want your money too, I just want to make love to you. - Willie Dixon






















No comments:

Followers