Monday, September 28, 2009

Pheaturing Ernie Halter


PHIRST OF

Hi there, welcome to the Phile, I am your host, Jennifer's Body. Happy Yom Kippur to all my Jewish readers. What is Yom Kippur, anyway? A celebration of fish? Scientists say there is evidence of water on the moon. That’s great, but call me when you find vodka. Leaders from all over the world were here, at the U.N. They’re all very busy: French President Sarkozy went jogging... President Obama played a lot of basketball... Prime Minister Berlusconi was getting phone numbers at Hooters. President Obama brought together Israeli and Palestinian leaders. Undeniably it was awkward. They stood there and stared at each other. And then finally, after an uncomfortable period of time, they shook hands. It was like my wedding night.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gave a hate-filled speech. In all seriousness, I’d like to say a couple of words about Ahmadinejad — short and ugly. Osama bin Laden was supposed to address the U.N. but he dropped out at the last moment due to mercury poisoning. President Obama was the first U.S. president to chair the U.N. Council. Meanwhile, Vice President Joe Biden became the first vice president to sit for six hours in a Brookstone massage chair. Obama hosted a reception for world leaders at the Waldorf-Astoria. The party was going great until Hugo Chavez started doing karaoke. Today if you go eat at Chili's all the profits go to St. Jude's. And do you know where we went? BJ's. It's a restaurant, and BJ's doesn't offer B.J.'s, so I was kinda disappointed. The last month or so I showed you some books Logan had in his collection when he was a kid, and as a public service I thought I would warn you what kid books are out there before you purchased them at Borders or somewhere. Always check what the title is, and what the book is about before you just grab whatever book has the nicest picture. So, here on the Phile, the last of the pile of books Logan had when he was younger.


So, today we went to the a local mall, and of course I had to look in the electronics store and even though I have a Mac, I still looked at the Microsoft software. Okay, I had to make some excuse for this joke. Anyway, I was surprised to see what Microsoft released. Check it out, yo.


Crazy, eh? Okay, now for the web's popular new game, kids.




I don't know, but that's one lucky bastard of a snake.

Susan Atkins: Parole granted.

From the home office in Port Jefferson, here is this week's...


Top Ten Things You Don't Want To Hear From Your School Teacher.
10. "Your grades will be based on how well you tip me."
9. "I lost my red ink pen so I graded your papers with mayonnaise."
8. "We're going to learn this subject together."
7. "Best way to see me after school is webcam."
6. "First field trip -- the corner liquor store."
5. "I'm only doing this until the hooker thing starts paying off."
4. "Please Twitter me your research papers by the end of the week."
3. "Pay no attention to my parole officer."
2. "Everyone stand and pledge allegiance to me."
And the number one thing you don't want to hear from your teacher...
1. "Daily homework assignment: Watch Leno at 10."


1066
Duke William lands 7,000 troops at Pevensey, Kent. Thus begins the Norman conquest of England.
1850
The United States Navy abolishes the practice of flogging. Among the crimes for which this was the penalty are: stealing poultry from the coop (12 lashes), being lousy (6), stealing a wig (12), and being naked on the spar deck (9). This reform is perhaps the signature moment in Millard Filmore's presidency.
1920
A Cook County grand jury indicts the Black Sox 8... the White Sox players paid to throw the 1919 World Series to the Cincinnati Reds. Even though they are found not guilty, Commissioner Landis bans them all from professional baseball for life.
1978
A nun at the Vatican discovers the lifeless body of Pope John Paul I, formerly Albino Luciani, in bed. The pontiff had been on the job only 33 days before unexpectedly dying in his sleep, after having taken some sort of pills with dinner. The church refuses to grant an autopsy.
1989
Former Philippine president Ferdinand Marcos dies in Waikiki, Hawaii, after three years in exile. He was in ill health, and awaiting US charges on looting funds from his country. His wife keeps the cadaver in a refrigerated coffin for years.
1994
The ferry Estonia suddenly capsizes in the Baltic, drowning 852. The vessel sinks in less than five minutes, making it impossible for more than a handful of passengers to make it to the lifeboats. Many of them die trapped in their cabins.
1994
The world fails to end for a Borneo doomsday cult based in Sabah, after authorities arrest nearly 200 members, more than 50 of whom are children. The armed group was garbed in yellow robes and intended to perform a human sacrifice before the End Time.




You can order the second book of the Book Club at Amazon.com, or at fantomfilms.co.uk. This is what it is, Phile Phans.

Mary will be a guest on the Phile soon, so please purchase her book. While you are at it, don't forget to purchase the first book in the Phile's Book Club, "Mr. Lincoln Was A Robot" by Victor Langlois.



Today's guest is a talented singer whose new album "Ernie Halter: Live" is available now on iTunes. Tonight he kicks off his new tour at 3rd & Lindsley in Nashville, Tennessee and will be playing on October 1st in Little Rock, Arkansas. Please check his Myspace page for other dates. Please welcome to the Phile... Ernie Halter.


Me: Hello, Ernie, welcome to the Phile. So, how are you?

Ernie: A bit tired, but good.

Me: I have to admit, a few weeks ago I haven't heard of you, but now I am a big fan. You've been playing and recording for awhile, right?

Ernie: My first record (which I recorded in my bathroom), “Lo Fidelity,” came out in ’04, I think. Been touring and recording ever since.

Me: And am I right in reading that you have half a million followers on Twitter? How did that happen? The Phile only has two... but I get a lot of readers.

Ernie: Twitter made me a "suggested user" and that has helped tremendously.

Me: Do you think Facebook, Myspace and Twitter has changed how bands and performers have marketed their music. I like to think the Phile is a big part of that. LOL.

Ernie: YES! Social networking has put independent artists in touch with fans directly and also given fans a chance to interact with their favorite artists in ways we weren't seeing 10 years ago.

Me: I purchased all your music off iTunes and have to say I love your new album "Ernie Halter: Live". What made you do a live album this year?

Ernie: Thanks! It was a natural choice since I perform 100+ dates a year across the country. The fans wanted it. I wanted it. It’s a win-win. It showcases what I do best. Performing live.

Me: Your song "Whisper" is one of my favorites, Ernie. With all your great songs, what made you choose the 11 for the live album?

Ernie: Thank you. Honestly, the songs were chosen based on the strongest performances.

Me: Where was the album recorded? Was it recorded in one show or many?

Ernie: The live album was recorded over about 15 shows across the country. Offhand, I remember taping in LA, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Columbus, Charlotte, and Philly.

Me: Your last studio album was "Starting Over", right? I know there's a story behind that title.

Ernie: The album came out of a tumultuous time in my life. The best way to tell the story is to listen to the lyrics of the songs themselves. : ]

Me: You also have an album called "Uncovered: The Youtube Sessions". This is a pretty cool project, Ernie. Wanna explain to the Phile readers what it is and are you gonna be releasing a follow up? How about doing a Foghat song?

Ernie: We were approached by a label looking to release some of the YouTube covers I'd done. Was a fun idea and I like trying new things, though, in truth, it probably will be the only record of its kind that I'll put out, since my primary goal is writing original songs.

Me: Ernie, where are you from, sir? How long have you been playing piano and guitar?

Ernie: Born in Inglewood, California and raised in Orange County. Been playing piano since I was 8 years old, guitar since I was 15.

Me: Let's talk about your influences, Ernie. I am guessing you are a Beatles fan, am I right? Who else are you into?

Ernie: Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor... Nashville writers, Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift, Dave Barnes.

Me: Have you ever met any of your idols?

Ernie: Fortunately, yes.

Me: You did a few shows with Kate Voegele, who I think is brilliant. How is she in real life, and are you two friends? She's easy on the eyes, isn't she? Did you see her on Conan?

Ernie: Kate is a dear, sweet girl. We've toured together in the past and remain in touch. I'm very proud of what she's done and has yet to do.

Me: Speaking of, any luck we'll see you on Conan soon, or any other late night show? Have you done any TV appearances?

Ernie: I've done some morning TV, and as a backing musician have performed on "Tonight Show", Letterman, "The View", etc.

Me: I have to ask you about MochaClub.org? Did I get the name right? What kind of charity is it? The Phile is a supporter of a few charities. What made you become part of this particular one?

Ernie: Mocha Club is a great organization where people donate $7 per month toward projects in Africa (AIDS, Sudan, Child Mothers, Education, Water Wells, and more). I started donating three years ago, became an artist sponsor last year, and traveled to South Africa a few months back to visit and learn more about the education and job creation program I'm currently sponsoring. For more information, I hope you'll check out mochaclub.org. The charity has very low overhead so almost all of the money goes to helping those who need it. Plus, nearly everyone can afford $7 a month, and to think of how much good it will do.

Me: Hey, you had a song played on "General Hospital", didn't you? Is there a TV show you would love to have your music played on?

Ernie: "Grey's Anatomy" would be a huge opportunity I'm looking forward to getting someday.

Me: Sorry if I asked way to many questions. You definitely are a very talented singer, song-writer, Ernie. I wish you a lot of luck, and continued success. Is there a website or anything else you wanna plug?

Ernie: www.myspace.com/erniehalter, www.youtube.com/erniehalter.

Me: Hope you make it down to Orlando, Ernie. You gotta play at the House of Blues. Tell Krista to get on that. ; 0 So, next year when your next CD comes out, you are welcomed back. Take care.

Ernie: Thanks! Cheers, E. Good night. zzzz.


PHINALLY

Thanks to Ernie for taking time to do this interview and to Krista Mettler for setting it up. Also, thanks to Wikipedia, and of course, you readers. The Phile will be back on Friday with Gerry Owens from the band Lluther. Yes, that's with two L's. Have a good week, and don't forget to spread the word, not the turd. Bye, love you, bye.





No comments:

Followers