Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Pheaturing Nancy Wilson From Roadcase Royale


Hey, kids, welcome to the Phile for a Tuesday. How are you? Get ready for maybe the funniest and most confusing thing that has ever graced the Internet. No, not the Phike. In a tweet posted by Dan Critchlow, a writer for the soccer site, The Daily Cannon, an interview about soccer gets more awkward than a middle school dance make out session with braces. There's truly no way to describe this exchange, but Critchlow comparing the moment to how most men treat women who discuss soccer is so staggeringly accurate it hurts my bones.


Here's a screenshot of what happens and I'll explain...


She asked a question, they turned and walked away. Naturally, the Internet had a lot of questions. Was she supposed to follow them? Was this a joke? Did they truly just want to walk away from her entirely? Critchlow offered some insight into the incident, "I believe it was scripted as a creative transition, but the fact they didn’t pan Kelly out of the shot just makes it look weird and awkward." The woman in the video, Kelly Cates, who works for Sky Sports Football, explained the situation, "They were going to interview Hasenhuttl in the tunnel! Would have looked weird if they didn’t have anything to say I the way there." I've watch this video maybe fifty plus times and it doesn't stop being the funniest thing I've seen in months. Thank you, Critchlow, for finding a way to make sports the funniest things on Twitter.
Some of you out there might think Britney Spears is a goddess. She's an insanely good dancer, she's had so many hit songs it's impossible to choose the best one and she survived 2007 which is inspiration to us all. Even though she hasn't been totally in the limelight lately, nobody has forgotten about Britney. Even Broadway hasn't forgotten about Britney. In a new jukebox musical, 23 of Britney Spears' hit songs will be coming to the stage in a story that's not about her life, but about fairy tales instead. It's called Once Upon a One More Time, which is a title that could use a workshop. Why couldn't they have just gone with It's Britney, Bitch, or A Story About a Girl Named Lucky? Regardless, the concept is a musical comedy about Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty who are in a book club, working their way through the Grimms' fairy tales. When they come across Betty Friedan's "The Feminine Mystique" through a fairy godmother, they all read it and become... feminists through the songs of Britney Spears? It's unclear. The only thing we know for sure is that the magic of Britney is becoming a musical and even if it's the biggest train wreck that ever happened, I'm all on board. It's worth noting also that Britney's musical is starting in Chicago at the James M. Nederlander Theater November 13th through December 1st. Those were originally the same dates and venue set for Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough the Michael Jackson jukebox musical that was canceled after the recent HBO documentary. There’s going to officially be a Britney Spears musical on Broadway, and I can’t decide whether I wanna go and see it or not.
Casual sexism is embedded in so many parts of our culture it can feel nearly invisible until you shake your brain and realize it's been right there the whole time. Whether conscious or not, so many of the outdated gendered stereotypes are projected onto children from a very young age. While it might feel over the top to call it out in seemingly benign situations, every joke and assumption made about kids form the building blocks of their self-perception. Which is to say, if something sexist or reductive is being projected onto kids, it's best to nip it in the bud. All this being said, a picture posted by the Twitter page Medical Shots is now getting dragged for sexist connotations.


While the children themselves are cute, posting a photo that assumes the girl will be a nurse and the boy will be a doctor feels very tired. There is nothing wrong with either of them pursuing either career, but it seems unnecessary to project these old stereotypes onto literal children. It didn't take long for someone to post a perfect alternative to the original photo, one that maintains the cuteness without the tired assumptions.


Overall the picture got a big nope from Twitter. I have a feeling this is the last time this page will post a picture of this sentiment, unless igniting the backlash was part of the plan all along.
If foot-in-mouth was an Olympic sport, there would be a gold division for mansplainers. Mansplainers, by (my) definition, are not merely men explaining something. No, mansplainers are men who assume they are smarter than women, and proceed to use that assumption to ramble about subjects they know little about. One of the most recent examples of mansplaining involves an antagonist who felt it was his personal duty to decry actress Brie Larsen while comparing her to Jonah Hill. If that sentence doesn't make you tired already, his actual comment will do the trick. This installment of Mansplaining Fails was triggered by a Netflix tweet about Larsen's directorial debut, Unicorn Store.


Rather than looking in to see if the movie is up his alley, the mansplainer went on a rant about how Larsen hasn't paid enough artistic dues to direct. To make it worse, he claimed she should have "taken notes from Jonah Hill." Luckily, Netflix was not here for this level of petty, and quickly shut down the comment with a comprehensive list of Larsen's credits, which include 58 award nominations and an Oscar.


Hopefully, this succinct shut down will teach this guy to do his homework before spouting off condescension, but I'm not holding my breath.
Former "That's So Raven" and "Cory in the House" star Kyle Massey is being sued for allegedly sending explicit texts, photos, and videos to a 13-year-old girl, who claims to have met Massey with her mom when she was just four. People reports that according to court documents, Massey kept in touch with her family because of the child's interest in a future career in entertainment. The mother says in the suit that Massey "held himself out as a father figure" to the young child. "Their communication restarted again in November 2018 when the teen texted Massey and explained that she would be interested in auditioning for a reboot of his spinoff series 'Cory in the House,'" according to People. "The actor even allegedly planned to have the girl, who was from Seattle, live with him and his girlfriend in Los Angeles, while he helped her find an agent." The girl was in eighth grade... years away from graduation. That is so not Raven.
You know, if I had a TARDIS I would go to a gas station in 1955 in Los Angeles and tell James Dean to not drive so fast.


He wouldn't listen to me though, I know it. I mentioned Johan Hill just now but it turns out he's not gonna be in the new "Jump Street" movie...


Oh, well. Haha. They say if I go to Walmart I'm gonna see things I don't wanna see. I didn't believe it until I saw this...


I was gonna show a closer look at that but decided against it. A few weeks ago Trump whipped out a map to tell the press that ISIS has been defeated. That was not the only thing he showed...


Yesterday I told you about Fox News for trying to trick people in to thinking the border is a war zone. Well, Lawrence Jones III is back at that site and wearing a different "vest" this time.


Hahaha. That's so stupid, That's as stupid as...


Ha. Do you like Hot Pockets? Did you see there's a new kind that just came out?


Yikes. I'm staying away from that one... I'm allergic to bees. My son and I were talking about how we used to watch "Sesame Street" together when he was little. Either the show has changed over the years or I was a terrible dad.



Though discharged from the hospital, Big Bird never recovered from his stroke in any meaningful way. He requited 24-hour care from his family and was incapable of cleaning and feeding himself. He no longer recognized friends and neighbors. He spent his remaining years doing little more than moaning and screeching.



If you spot the Mindphuck then let me know.



From the sun peeking over her shoulder to her son peeking over her shoulder. She was bathed in light, now she’s bathed in spit-up.


The 96th book to be pheatured in the Phile's Book Club is...


I said yesterday that Brian will be the guest on the Phile in a few weeks. Well actually he'll be the guest on the Phile next Tuesday.



A police officer, though scheduled for all-night duty at the station, was relieved of duty early and arrived home four hours ahead of schedule, at 2 in the morning. Not wanting to wake his wife, he undressed in the dark, crept into the bedroom and started to climb into bed. Just then, his wife sleepily sat up and said, "Mike, dearest, would you go down to the all-night drug store on the next block and get me some aspirin? I've got a splitting headache." "Certainly, honey," he said, and feeling his way across the dark room, he got dressed and walked over to the drug store. As he arrived, the pharmacist looked up in surprise, "Say," said the druggist, "I know you... aren't you a policeman? Officer Fenwick, right?" "Yeah, so?" said the officer. "Well, what the heck are you doing all dressed up like the Fire Chief?"


Today's pheatured guest s an American musician, singer, songwriter, producer, and composer. She rose to fame alongside her older sister, singer Ann Wilson, as a guitarist and backing vocalist in the rock band Heart. She has a new band called Roadcase Royale whose debut CD "First Things First" is available on iTunes, Spotify and Amazon. Please welcome to the Phile... Nancy Wilson.


Me: Hello, Nancy, welcome to the Phile. How are you doing?

Nancy: Hi, Jason, I'm good. How are you?

Me: Not bad. Congrats on getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago. What was it like when they told you were gonna get inducted?

Nancy: It was cool. I didn't have any conflicted feelings about being on the list for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Me: Did you ever think you wanted to be inducted into it?

Nancy: Yes, as a matter if fact I tried to work that angle a little bit. I tried to romance the brotherhood a little bit. I'd send packages with personalized notes to guys like Jann Wenner and people in the industry like box sets and a signed book. I tried to send my propaganda a little bit for them to remember who the heck we were to begin with and how long we've been working at it. I don't know if that influenced them at all, but honestly I think it did. It doesn't hurt to reach out to people of influence.

Me: What was it like at the ceremony?

Nancy: It was so cool that Chris Cornell volunteered to induct us. It was eloquent, it was such a beautiful thing he did. It was such great night, great honor, and I got a statue on my piano, man!

Me: So, if Foghat ever gets inducted they don't get to choose someone? How does that work? Chris wasn't chosen?

Nancy: I think he volunteered because we're all from Seattle, we've been friends for years, been on stages together for many times, he was a fan from way back when, so I think that's how it happened. My sister Ann got to induct the Moody Blues and she looked to be the one because she was a biog fan of there's. So I'm pretty sure I think that's how it happens. Foghat SHOULD be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Me: We'll see. I have mixed feelings. So, how did you first get into music, Nancy?

Nancy: I was really young, I was about nine and I saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. It was just a cultural shift for me and the world really. Music was going to be different from then out Everyone knew it and it was like a mania. It was like a flashmob and everyone was going that way. I had to have a guitar right away and learn the Beatles songs right away and had to form a band immediately, write songs and get singers in there, sing Beatles songs... it was like a hunger and a verge to be part of the cultural wave that was happening.

Me: Being a female rock guitarist did you ever think they'll be roadblocks? There wasn't many female guitarists back then.

Nancy: You know what, I came from a military background in the Marine Corps and we were pretty stubborn about finding our ways as women. My dad was gone a lot to a couple of wars and my mom was a strong individual who taught us to be strong. She was also very musical herself so we kind of grew up with music. We'd pull our musical wagons in a circle with our family, we had all these great connections with uncles and grandparents. We got all together and sang. For us and me it was a real natural progression just to go ahead and be the guitar player. My whole family gave me the freedom to make me feel like I could do anything that I wanted to do. Once in awhile, even as a young kid, I'd go to the music store and sit and play a guitar hey had. People would stop and go, "whoa, you're pretty good for a girl." I was like what difference does it make if I'm a girl?" I just never really got that.

Me: You never wanted to be a lead singer?

Nancy: I never felt playing guitar would hold me back, but singing would hold me back.

Me: When did you start writing songs?

Nancy: Well, I always liked writing little poems and things and stories but writing songs came pretty quick. My first good song I wrote by myself I was twelve and it was called "The Rain Song." You can actually find it on a solo project thing I did once. It was a great little song with the structure of songs I was listening to at the time.

Me: So, who were your musical influences back then guitar wise?

Nancy: Paul Simon was a huge guitar influence on my finger style and Elton John, even though he played piano was a HUGE influence on my guitar playing because I would accompany those songs in a room. Everything I loved was a big influence on what I was doing right off the bat.

Me: What was it like when you first heard your song on the radio?

Nancy: Me and Ann were in a car in Vancouver, BC with groceries to stock up the band house and we heard "Magic Man" come on the radio and it was like "This is great! Oh my God!" We had to pull the car over to stop and listen to it and just hear it over the radio for the first time. It was just one of those moments we'll never have again. It's been in a few films in a couple of ways but it was really exciting. It was a good feeling.

Me: What was the biggest crowd you ever played, Nancy?

Nancy: Oh, jeez. It might've been the Boston Jam in Boston obviously. There was about a hundred thousand folks, it was relay towers after relay towers as far as the eye could see. I couldn't see the end of people. I think it was on Boston Commons, whatever the park is the big one there. Those situations are dangerous with so many people.

Me: You are very charismatic in stage, but I imagine when you are playing in front of a large crowd opposed to a theatre or club you have to adjust your playing style, am I right?

Nancy: Well, I have to go big, I can't be stargazing up there when I have a billion people in front of me. I want to make it look bigger, I want to flare around a little bit more.

Me: What's this you're working on a TV series with Johnny Depp?

Nancy: Yeah, we're working on a series about Muscle Shoals, which is a studio. There's an amazing documentary called Muscle Shoals which we are kinda going to be borrowing from. It's about an amazing producer who created this town of Muscle Shoals which Aretha Franklin played in, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was one of the first songs recorded there, and just all kinds of amazing hits of our day that went global from a little town called Muscle Shoals in Alabama. It's just a fascinating piece of work, I'm one of the producers and me and my husband, Geoff Bywater, is the music people with producing, licensing and scoring. Johnny Depp is producer and will probably help with music too. We have a really good team and we're ready to get started.

Me: Okay, so, I have to ask you about your new band Roadcase Royale. Who is that great singer in the band?

Nancy: That's Liv Warfield from Prince's New Power Generation and that's her guitar player, Ryan Waters, who's my favorite guitar player.

Me: The rest of the band are from Heart, right?

Nancy: Yeah, Chris, Ben and Dan.

Me: I love the album, "First Things First" better than Heart's stuff I have to admit. Did you write the new songs yourself on the album?

Nancy: We all wrote a couple of songs on the new album and we actually did a couple of Heart songs on the album with a different spin on them. When we play live Liv just sings them crazy like nobody's business. It's really cool listening to someone else interpret it, it doesn't sound anything like my sister's version. It's like this whole new rock and soul feel this band has. People say it's fresh and I have to agree.

Me: Cool, Nancy, I know you have to go but will you come back again soon?

Nancy: I will, Jason, thank you. It was fun. Take care.

Me: You too.





That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to Nancy Wilson, I hope she will come back on the Phile soon. The Phile will be back next Monday with Dick Taylor from the Pretty Things. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.


































I don't want you, cook my bread, I don't want you, make my bed, I don't want your money too, I just want to make love to you. - Willie Dixon

No comments:

Followers