Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pheaturing Will Hinkle From L.M.I.


Summer breeze makes me feel fine. Blowin' through the jasmine in my mind. Who is Jasmine? Whoever she is is not in my mind. Now if the song went like this... Sumemr breeze makes me feel fine, blowin' through the Kelly in my mind. Actually, they'll be blowin' but it wouldn't be in my mind. What? The First Lady is on the entry today, I gotta be good. Haha. Welcome to the Phile, kids. New readers are probably thinking what on Earth is he talking about? I don't know, I'm tired.  What's going on in the news? That Anthony guy is back in the news. Anthony Weiner has been caught in yet another sexting scandal. At the beginning of this campaign he said that other texts and photos were likely to come out. Well, they have. Finally, a politician who keeps his promises! Anthony Weiner said that he wants closure. If he wants closure, he should start with his zipper.  Yesterday I talked about the royal baby, but didn't mention his name being George, and some people called me out on it. "How can you be British and not know the royal baby's name?" they asked. I never said I didn't know his name. Anyway, if you don't know, the royal baby has a name now: George Alexander Louis. George is not the king yet. So for now, we’ll just address him as "Boy George."  Remember the band, Flock of Seagulls? They had their van stolen. I was like, "They still have a van?"  The Obama administration has admitted that under Obamacare, you might not be able to keep your doctor. At first the president guaranteed you'd be able to keep your doctor, and now they're saying you "might" be able to. Today Obama changed his slogan from "Yes we can" to "Perhaps we could try. Can’t promise anything." Just kidding, Ms. Obama. LOL.  This just in, the royal baby... George has spoken his first words already. He just came out of the womb like a week ago and he's already speaking. He said, "Fetch me some milk".  NASA released pictures of earth taken from 900 million miles away. From 900 miles away, you can make out the Great Wall of China. In Newark, you can make out the governor of New Jersey.  So, did you see the pictures of Kate and William and baby George? If not, I have the picture right here.


I love those Minions!  So, the new Wolverine movie is out, and I thought the ad they released for it is kinda odd.


Other Canadians are sorry? Sorry for what? Last Sunday Geraldo Rivera tweeted a nearly-naked selfie, proudly proclaiming, “70 is the new 50.” To which I proudly proclaim both are still gross to look at. If you didn't see the picture I have it here.


There you go, ladies. You're welcome. I'll be 45 in November. Maybe I will take a selfie like that on my birthday and post it here. Remind me. Haha.  As I have been mentioning Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is on the cover of the latest issue of Rolling Stone and the magazine is being criticized for glamorizing a terrorist. But in Rolling Stones defense that is not the only magazine he on the cover.


That's pretty stupid.  So, it's summer and all through summer I have been showing you pictures of phascinating pools, which I ran out of. So, I asked you readers to send me in some you know of. And another reader has done so.


That's the Marina Bay Sands swimming pool and is described as a cool swimming pool with no restrictions. Yep, I can see that. And now for some sad news...




Lindy Boggs
Mar 13, 1916 - July 27, 2013
Yielded.



It's 10:19, 82° and Kelly shared and engagement photo. Argghhhh!


Man, how many books does she have? Not one is a graphic novel I bet. Alright, moving on. This is kinda cool. I have a special guest who was last here this past September. She is the First Lady, and writer and lawyer, and I am thrilled she's back on the Phile. Please welcome back... First Lady Michelle Obama!


Me: Hello, Michelle, welcome back to the Phile. How are you?

Michelle: I'm good, Jason.

Me: So, what did you want to talk about?

Michelle: There's a lot of noise and talk and back-and-forth going on in Washington...

Me: About what?

Michelle: A lot, but hardly any of it seems to be about the struggles that middle-class families face. 

Me: Okay, so, how does this differ from any other time? Middle-class families always had a hard time.

Michelle: When I was growing up, a family like mine... living on my hard-working father's salary at the city water plant, could build a solid life without much debt and without relying on any form of public assistance.

Me: Okay, and today?

Michelle: Today, for too many families, that American promise is no longer within reach.

Me: Your husband, the President is working to fix that though, am I right?

Michelle: Barack is working to fix that, to give all families a fair shot.

Me: He probbaly needs help though, he can't do it all by himself.

Michelle: He needs solid Democrats in Congress to help him.

Me: There are not enough Democrats in Washington, Michelle. Haha.

Michelle: You're right, we need to elect more Democrats in Washington and across the country.

Me: I have to be honest, I somehow get a lot of politicians on the Democratic party here on the Phile. You yourself have been here once before, the President has been on the Phile, Biden, and many more. And the feedback I hear is people are tired and frustrated with politics. I'm British, cannot vote, probably sit on the fence in a lot of things, and I'm very cynical, as are a lot of people...

Michelle: It's easy to get frustrated and cynical about politics.

Me: True. And now the whole excitement of the presidential campaign has faded I'm sure it is so tempting to wait another four years to re-engage.

Michelle: But make no mistake about it... while some are tuning out, others are tuning in.

Me: Really? What are they doing?

Michelle: They're doing everything they can to make their voices heard.

Me: Have you seen effects?

Michelle: We're seeing the effects of that kind of imbalance every single day.

Me: So, do you honestly think the President can make our country a better place to live, for ourselves and our grandchildren?

Michelle : Yes, but Barack cannot do it alone. He needs people like you to get involved right now.

Me: Well, I am sure he'll get a lot of supporters. Tnanks very much for being here, First Lady. Give the President my regards and please come back soon.

Michelle: Thanks, Jason. I have one more thing to tell the Peverett Phile readers.

Me: Don't stop reading the Phile? What do you have to tell them?

Michelle: Please don't wait for the next presidential election to get involved. We've got to get going right now. That's the only way we'll get it done.

Me: You're right. Michelle Obama, kids!







Today's pheatured guest is the lead singer and guitarist for the Pennsylvania band L.M.I. whose latest EP "L.M.I. II" is available on iTunes and Bandcamp right now. They'll next be appearing at The M Room in Philadelphia, PA on August 1st. Please welcome to the Phile from L.M.I... Will Hinkle!


Me: Hey, Will, welcome to the Phile, man, how are you?

Will: I’m pretty good thanks.

Me: Okay, first things first, and don't get offended, but Will Hinkle is not a very rock and roll name. LOL. Did you ever thought of changing it or just going by Will?

Will: Haha. Nahh. I’ve never really thought about changing it, I normally just go by Will. But I guess it is kind of a funny name. 

Me: I can't speak, I went through my whole life people calling me Jason Pervert. So, I have to ask, what does L.M.I. stand for?

Will: It stands for Lazy Middle-Class Intellectuals.

Me: Who came up with that name, and where did it come from?

Will: The name came from a song by a band called Bad Religion. At the time I was a really big fan of them and I took the name from a song of there’s called “21st Century Digital Boy”.

Me: Where are you guys based, Will?

Will: We are based out of Lansdale, Pennsylvania.

Me: Where is Lansdale? My wife is from the Mechanicsburg area, are you guys near there?

Will: Lansdale is just north of Philly. And Mechanicsburg is more towards central PA.

Me: Alright, you guys are a trio, right? Have you always been a trio?

Will: For the most part yea we have just been a trio, we have had some small changes here and there but the three of us are really the only members who have stayed in the band.

Me: Who is in the band with you?

Will: Our bassist Brando Racik and our drummer Kevin Marcinek.

Me: Your music is very ska and punkish, which is cool. Who are your influences?

Will: We have influences from all over the place really. When we started it was more just punk bands like NOFX, Choking Victim, and heavier bands like Gallows. But now we all really listen to many different bands so I’d say some of our influences include Gogol Bordello, Black Flag, Kylesa, The Bronx, Best Coast, and many others.

Me: Last December I interviewed Justin Jones from The Mahlors, have you heard of them, Will?

Will: Yea, we have played a couple shows with them in the past in our hometown and also in Atlantic City.

Me: So, who gets the most women, you guys or The Mahlors?

Will: Haha... probably the guys in The Mahlors. Who can resist those luscious dreads?

Me: Good point. How long has the band been together?

Will: This past February we will have been playing shows for 3 years. So about three years now.

Me: Alright, so, I downloaded the new EP "L.M.I. II" from iTunes, and liked it. Was there a "L.M.I. I"?

Will: Yea, our original demo was just self-titled and we couldn’t really decide on a name for this EP so we just went with “L.M.I. II”.

Me: Your first release was "Sell Your Clothes, Save Your Thoughts"... what does that mean? If I sold my clothes I'll be running around naked.

Will: Haha... well, that was our second release and it’s actually a slightly altered quote from the philosopher Henry Thoreau. The original quote was “Sell Your Clothes, Keep Your Thoughts” but we decided to change it a little bit. What it means is that your personal thoughts should matter more than your material belongings.

Me: The new release is an EP... what made you decide to release an EP opposed to another full length?

Will: A lot of our earlier stuff wasn’t really up to par with what we wanted it to sound like and we figured writing a new EP would be quicker and we could get the sound we wanted a lot faster then writing another full length.

Me: And I have to ask you about the artwork, Will. When I first saw it I thought it was a fat guy holding his really long penis. I'm sure that's not what it is, what is it?

Will: Haha. Well, you got part of it right. What is it is a fat guy holding a sword which he has cut part of his body off with. And the part of his body is raised above him a little bit.

Me: Who did the artwork, it's very good.

Will: Dan Smith. He is the drummer of a band called Fight Amp and also does artwork for bands.

Me: I saw on some of your merch, you guys use a picture of DB Cooper. I have a picture of it here...


Me: Is he a hero of yours?

Will: Haha, you’re probably the first person to realize who that was on our merch. And yes, I guess you could say he is a hero of our band.

Me: You guys seem so young, Will, are you in high school or college?

Will: All of us are in college.

Me: So, man, what's next for the band? Any new music?

Will: Right now we are in the early stages of writing a new full length and playing as many shows as we can.

Me: If you see The Mahlors again, tell them I said hello. Go ahead and mention your website and everything. And where can readers buy your music?

Will: I definitely will! And you can check out our facebook page at facebook.com/LMIband and you can listen to or download our EP from either iTunes or our Bandcamp page htlmiband.bandcamp.com/.

Me: Alright, so, this year on the Phile I am asking random questions, so here is yours, Will... What kinda business would you love to start?

Will: If I could start any business it would probably be a record store that also has a bar and hookah lounge in it. I feel like that would be pretty cool.

Me: The record store part would be. Take care, and when your next release comes out, I'll have you back.

Will: Thanks! It was a pleasure.




It does look like a fat guy holding his really long penis, doesn't it. Anyway, that about does it for this entry. Thanks to Michelle Obama and Will Hinkle. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Phile Alum, the very entertaining Jeff Cameron. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!



No comments:

Followers