Monday, April 2, 2012

Pheaturing Alumni Fogdan


Hey, kids, welcome to the Monday entry of the Phile. How are you?  So, congrats to Kelly Clarkson for winning two Academy of Country Music Awards last night. I didn't see her new boyrfriend hanging out with her there... thank God. I don't like whathisname. But, she was hanging out with some other guys. Take a look.

Those lucky Kiss bastards.  What else is going on? On CNN, White House adviser David Plouffe referred to the Republican presidential race as a "clown show." That’s as rough as it gets on CNN. Romney, Santorum, Paul, and Gingrich all called the statement ridiculous and then piled into one tiny car and drove off.  Dick Cheney received a heart transplant last weekend after waiting for two years. He wasn't waiting for a donor. It just took doctors two years to find Cheney’s current heart.  President Obama said that North Korea is in a "time warp" that has missed 50 years of progress. North Korea denied the accusation... in a strongly worded telegraph.  A new survey found that Facebook, Google, and YouTube are the most popular websites in the U.S. While the least popular website in the U.S. is Gingrich2012.org. Thank God it wasn't thepeverettphile.blogspot.com that was the least popular.  Well, apparently Tim Tebow is looking for a house in the same neighborhood where Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez lives. It’s right at the intersection of Awkward and Yikes. A strip club in New York is offering to give Tim Tebow his first lap dance for free. It’ll be the first time where the customer is the one who keeps yelling "No touching.”  Also in New York, a woman here in New York claims that her blind date stole her iPhone and her wallet. She was like, "I have to get that iPhone back... I mean, what if he calls"?  This is my favorite story of the week, a man wearing a Batman costume was pulled over while driving a Lamborghini. I think the real story here is that a grown man who owns a Batman costume can actually afford a Lamborghini. It's like the new Arthur movie.  A new poll found that President Obama’s approval rating is above 50 percent for the first time since last May. Obama made sure to thank the people who made that possible... Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, and Ron Paul.  Rick Santorum gave a speech at the Jelly Belly factory in California. Incidentally, "Jelly Belly Factory" was also Newt Gingrich’s nickname in college. A recent survey showed that Rick Santorum is the favorite GOP candidate among Republican women. When he heard that, Santorum was like, "Wait, women have the right to vote?"  This week in Ireland an elephant escaped from a circus and ended up at a mall. Fortunately, the elephant didn’t hurt anyone... but he did sit in one of those Brookstone massage chairs with no intention of buying it.  So, apart from the ACM awards that were on yesterday, it was also Wrestlemania. I know some of my readers actually went to Miami to see it live. Anyway, everything was talking about Cena versus the Rock. But no one really is talking about the other big match that happened. I even have a picture of it in case you didn't see it. 

And they were even selling wrestling themed inspirational posters there.

Have you seen the new AIDS ad? This is real, from Europe, and is 100% real. So I was told. Check it out.
And now from the home office in Phulfortha City, New York, here is this weeks...

Top Ten Signs New York City Has Tim Tebowmania
10. Renaming Seventh Avenue and Broadway "Tim's Square".
9. A few super-excited fans have decided they might actually go to a couple of games. 
8. Beggars now give you a quarter back. 
7. Everybody's speaking in tongues... oh wait, that's just the cab drivers. 
6. The Bowery is now called Tebowery. 
5. Citizens are committed to keeping at least four of the Commandments. 
4. Lin-sanity has dropped 97%. 
3. Thousands of kids want to grow up to be the backup quarterback for the Jets. 
2. Mayor Bloomberg so proud he feels five feet tall.
And the number one sign NYC has Tim Tebowmania...
1. Even the hookers are on one knee. 

Well, I have been having a lot of Democratic party people here recently on the Phile and not one GOP person. So, I invited our good 'friend' Reince Priebus, the Chairman, Republican National Committee. So, please welcome Reince in a pheature I have to call...

Me: Hello, sir, welcome back to the Phile for the first time this year. So, what's up? 

Reince: Friend, do you know what striking out looks like? 

Me: Yeah, when I was single I used to strike out a lot. LOL. I am sure you are talking about Obama though, right? I don't he struck out.

Reince: Look no further than Obama's irresponsible, out-of-control 2013 budget being voted down 414-0 in the House last Wednesday. And it's not the first time that has happened. 

Me: When did that happen before?

Reince: Last May, the President's 2012 budget received zero votes of support in the Senate. Even staunch liberals like Nancy Pelosi were unable to hold their nose and support the President's harmful policies.

Me: Alright, so, what does this tell us, Reince??

Reince: It tells us that even members from Obama's own party understand the harm that could come from pushing through his reckless $3.6 trillion budget for next year. It tells us that Obama offers no legitimate direction or guidance to lead us out of this fiscal crisis. It tells us that a real change is needed in November.

Me: So, you don't think Obama should be the President for another four years?

Reince: We cannot afford four more years of Barack Obama's irresponsible behavior. Republicans know it. Democrats know it. And now... you know it.

Me: Do I? I am not sure I do. 

Reince: Friend, help us get America back on track. 

Jason: Thanks, Chairman Priebus, for your amazing insight as always. 

Reince: Thank you, Jason.


Alright, let's get some real knowledge and intellectual information now. We all know the Mayans said the world will end in December. It might be true, 'cause those Mayans are so smart. So, once again I thought I would invite a ppular character to the Phile to give you some advice for the week. So, once again, it's...

Me: Hello, Marvin, so, what advice do you have for us today?

Marvin: Nya b’a’n tu’n t-xi tyec’in t-xew can, ku’n b’e’x ck’ayjil twi’ tk’ob’a.

Me: Marvin, once again I do not understand Mayan and I don't know if any of my readers do. Can you translate that in English?

Marvin: It is not good to point at a rainbow or your finger will rot.

Me: Um, thanks Marvin, once again. Marvin the Modern Day Mayan, everyone.


The 15th artist in the Peverett Phile is comic book artist Jeremy Dale, and this is one of his pieces.

Jeremy will be a guest on the Phile a week from today.





Alright, today's guest is a multi-instrumentalist and friend who was last on the Phile way back on December 31st, 2008. Since then he has released a bunch of new music, including his latest album "Party Arty On" and a great version of John Lee Hooker's "Boogie Chillen" which are available on CDBaby and iTunes. Please welcome to the Phile good friend and musician... Fogdan.

Me: Hello, Dan, welcome back to the Phile. It's been years since you were here. You were actually my 10th interview back then. How have you been?

Fogdan: Thank you, Jason, I am doing fine. Getting older, grumpier and need more fiber but I still play hockey in an old farts beer league and go biking.

Me: Are you still based in Colorado?

Fogdan: Yes sir, I am. I just moved in September from one side of Colorado Springs to the other. My amps are still packed way in the back of the spare room. I can almost see them. Working some stand up routines. Busy busy busy.

Me: The Phile has changed tremendously since then, hasn't it? Have you been following it?

Fogdan: Yes, it has. I like it. I treat it like the Sunday newspaper. I still check in almost every Sunday. I love what you do here. Some great Phings happen here. It now has more humor, fun facts and more photo’s, Top 10, comic’s, TV shows, products, more in depth interviews, toe tags and more. Great job!!

Me: Since '08 you have released a whole lot of music. You're a very busy musician, Dan. Do you still like creating music?

Fogdan: Yes, I do. I went through a low. A big low. I felt lost a bit and stuck. I made so much music and all different genre that it made my head spin. Different genre because of what I did for Electric Bear Studios and all the different TV shows they had I had music on it. So I took advice that Rod Price gave me back in 2003. You have to go back to the blues and all the great blues players and find yourself. I did not know what the hell he was talking about until now. And a song you might know "Jump That Train". So I got my head out of my but and in early December I unpacked my guitars and got busy. I went back to the greats and found John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley, Albert Collins again. I found the song "Boogie Chillen" by John Lee Hooker that kicked me in the face and went for it. Before I never understood why remake a song when you can write your own. I understand now. The journey you take to find yourself, your sound and identity is the best journey you can take. Thanks to all the blues and rock n roll players of the past. Rock 'n roll sure helped me through. Who sang that? Sounds like a great song... Now I want to come out with a blues rock CD and blues rock only not my bounce around style I have now. I am working on that now. I have a song called "Railroad Station Blues" I wrote it back in 2007 but never finished it and now is the time.

Me: Have you been performing live, sir?

Fogdan: Some open mic stuff. Looking to see what people like and what works best for me and my style.

Me: Okay, last time you were here you talked about where your nickname Fogdan came from. You were a big Foghat fan, and your friends nicknamed you Fogdan, am I right?

Fogdan: Yes it is. I loved the live stuff. Always a great show. A lot of energy. That is what I was always talking about that made people call me Fogdan.

Me: Was Foghat your favorite band growing up?

Fogdan: One of my favorites. Beatles, ZZ TOP and Paul McCartney and Wings are up there with Foghat.

Me: Where and when did you first hear of Foghat, Dan?

Fogdan: In 1972 or early 1973 on FM 104 WIOT Toledo’s Home For Rock n Roll. Walking home from school and stopped by my friend Kevin’s house and heard "I Just Want To Make Love To You".

Me: You said before when you were here you saw Foghat in concert many times, and even got backstage where you met my dad. So, how did you get backstage? And what was the first interaction you had with him?

Fogdan: Ha. I hope the Po Po don’t read this. Okay, it’s a long story. My friend Kevin had a brother who had a friend in Cleveland, Ohio who worked at Allen Theater so we went to go visit him in April of 1974. God, I’m getting old. We hooked up with his friend Bob and he said I have to work tonight why don’t you guy’s come along. We did and went to Allen Theater and he took us backstage. At some point Kevin found a girl he liked and went off to talk more to her. Talk more... that's B.S. He started to walk away with her and I said, "HEY! What? Just leave me here?" Bob said, "You can go Kevin I got this." And Bob turned to me and said, "Now I have to go on stage to take care of somethings and you just stay here. Oh and here if anybody say’s
something just say you that I asked you to get the set list from the band." And he hands me a clipboard with paper and walks off. So there I was minding my own business and sure enough security walks by and said, "Are you sure you should be back here?" I said, "Yes, Officer Obey." Did you fall asleep yet? He said, "What are you doing back here?" I said, "Bob sent me back here to get the set list from the band." He grabs the clipboard from my hands and looks at the clipboard and see’s that it has Allen Theater Band Set List on it. Officer Obey (I really do not know what his name was) takes me by the door and knocks on the door and opens the door and blurts out, “This guy needs the set list for tonight.” All the guy’s look at him and then look at me and someone said, "Just have him wait outside in the hall and we will get with him".  And I see one of them just starts laughing. And out the door I went. When I talked to Rod Price back in 2001 on his "Open" CD tour we talked about this and said he was the one that was laughing. They walked by later to play the gig and just smiled. I am sure your Dad said what the hell is going on. Some other times I met Lonesome Dave in Toledo, Ohio and just talked about small things but Rod and I talked about a lot of stuff. I miss those talks.

Me: You became really good friends with Rod Price. Have you kept in touch with his sons as well?

Fogdan: No, I haven't. I tried to contact Jackie after Rod’s death and she didn’t respond so I didn’t push it. When Rod and I talked last he said that he really loves his family and was very proud of his kids. I wishthem the best moving forward.

Me: I think we have a picture of you and Rod here from that tour, Dan.


Me: Rod looks happy here. : ) Okay, let's talk about your own music, Dan. I love the version of John Lee Hooker's "Boogie Chillen" that you recorded. Out of all the blues songs, how did you come about choosing that one?

Fogdan: Out of all the songs I listened to to find myself and my sound. I found John Lee Hooker on Youtube and went through all the video’s of him, looking at his style, playing habits and so on. When I came across his song "Boogie Chillen ver. 2" I just loved it. The song touched me in a way that I wanted to do it. I took his song and did it my way, and I had a blast doing it. Making the video was fun also. Thank God for Mac’s.

Me: Will you be recording a Foghat song? You know you can, right? ; ) I'd love to hear you do "Stone Blue".

Fogdan: Funny you say that. Last two weeks I have been listening to "Stone Blue" and "Zig Zag Walk". I would love to do "Stone Blue" but my slide playing needs work, a lot of work. What is fun about this song is to watch Dave and Rod performing the song and the looks on their face’s while playing. Rod told me he loved playing the song but had a hard time at the start of the song. I think that’s why you can hear the muted string sound 3 times before they start the song playing live. Maybe to get his timing down but once Rod started... Man O Man you could not slow him down. What feeling!!! FUN FACT for you. On the TV show "WKRP In Cincinnati", I think 1/2 way into the first season and most of the 2nd season, the “Stone
Blue” album cover was hanging outside the office wall just into the hallway behind Bailey. Look for it when you get a chance to watch it. You can watch them at Amazon.com.

Me: I remember seeing that when I was a kid. I used to love that show. You also recently recorded a song with another guitarist named Robert Kynor. Who is he and how did
you two end up working together?

Fogdan: When I first moved out here from, Toledo I met him at work and we started talking. He got me playing guitar again and is my guitar teacher as well. He is a great teacher and writer. He has a children's book out called "Oscar The Christmas Kitten".

Me: The song you two did is called "Walking Stick". Dan, is that song about getting old, because I feel the pain. LOL.

Fogdan: Yes and No. What? The place I just moved from we had a neighbor that used to walk down the center of the road. Yes down the center of the road. Every day. Not on the sidewalks on either side. Down the center. With his walking stick and an arm full of groceries. So I was kinda busting his chops on this song. Robert and I would be drinking beers and just start laughing. We would ask and he would say, "I don’t need a ride damn it." And mumbled off. Slow Walk. His bones are creaking. LOL.

Me: Will you and Robert be working together again?

Fogdan: Yes. We are working on my all blues rock CD with my song "Railroad Station Blues".

Me: I have to congratulate you for winning the Florida Motion Picture Television Association Award for best music composer. What was that for, Dan, and what did you win?

Fogdan: Thank You. I won a very nice plague. It was for the Music Composer Short Film/Video "Krysta’s Kingdom."

Me: I never heard of "Krysta's Kingdom". Where is it shown?

Fogdan: It was a pilot and four episodes. With one of the episodes a Holiday Special. I think it is only on the internet.

Me: What is it about?

Fogdan: Krysta was stranded on the magical island during a thunderstorm when her hot air balloon was punctured by Milo the Hummingbird. On the island she finds a castle filled with statues of her and with her name engraved on the door. Crafts, friendship’s and more.

Me: Did the producers approach you for the music or vice versa?

Fogdan: They found me and my song "End Of Night". They wanted it for their show "Raine Of Terror". One of the actors is Jennifer Faith Ward. She is just awesome. I met her at the awards and she just helped me out so much that I thank her to this day. Very Talented. After "Raine Of Terror" they asked me to help them on "Krysta’a Kingdom" with the theme and background music for scenes. They asked if I would make any style of music that they would need like a 1:05 piece of music that will fit this scene, I would make something after talking to them and send it to them. If they don’t like it I reworked it till they liked it. That was fun and fulfilling for me.

Me: I looked up "Krysta's Kingdom" and man, she's a hotty, right? We need to get her on the Phile. Here's what Krysta looks like.

Fogdan: They had two Krysta’s. The first was Britney Duchaine and the second was Erin LaChance. Both are great but if you want a great actress to interview I would get Jennifer Faith Ward. You can find her on Facebook.

Me: Alright, so you have a new album out called "Party Arty On", and that record has a whole different sound, it's not Foghat or blues sounding at all. What was the inspiration behind this dance like album, Dan?

Fogdan: Those songs were from "Krysta’s Kingdom" as background music for special scenes. Thats why the funny names for the songs I kept the scene name as the title. Fun stuff to make. So much music so fast. At one time I had 12 scenes I had to make music for and only had 1.5 days to make them and get them approved. Thats how I got burned and lost myself.

Me: Did you play all the music yourself?

Fogdan: Mostly, I use drum machines not drums, and some keyboards. Just got me a new Roland. Guitar and bass I do. Sometimes it takes a long time to get a lick down and sometimes I settle for what I can get out of myself. Thats why I have Robert Kynor. He is awesome. Without playing live, you write it, record it and then you are done. That will change.

Me: You are mostly a guitarist, right? My son is learning to play guitar and is doing fantastic! How old were you when you first started playing? What was the first song you learned, do you remember?

Fogdan: The song "Louie Louie". Started in my teens and played with my best friend Big Don Kozlowski. Don, along with his sister Beth and myself was known as 3D. I don’t remember why. And the neighborhood let us play to keep the cats and dogs out of the hood. That did not last more that a year as I went stock car racing after that and did not get back into it in till 2006. Just keep your son going. He will learn so much from it.

Me: Dan, as well as being a musician, you also have your own podcast called "Bar Room Talkin' Planet". Where can readers of the Phile listen to it and what do you talk about?

Fogdan: How did you find that? I submitted that a long time ago and I was told that it was not approved so I never went any further with it. It was going to be about local bands and trying to get them gigs around town. I have met with some club owners and talked to them about it and I would pick a different club every time.

Me: I dunno where I found it now. Dan, thanks so much for being on the Phile again. Hopefully it won't be four years before I have you back. Go ahead and plug your website and anything else you wanna. All the best, and take care.

Fogdan: Again thank you so much and I love what you do here. Anytime you need a interview I have more story’s about Foghat. Shameless plugs: Krysta’s Kingdom: Facebook.com/KrystasKingdom, Oscar The Christmas Kitten: oscarkitten.com, Jennifer Faith Ward: Facebook.com/actressjenn, Fogdan: cdbaby.com/Artist/Fogdanmyspace.com/fogdanboogie
Facebook.com/pages/Fogdan-Music/273629726604, Boogie Chillen video: youtube.com/watch?v=nclrXqgoClQ.


That about does it for another entry of the Phile. Thanks to my guests Reince Priebus and o course Fogdan. I will have him back on the Phile soon. The Phile meanwhile will be back on Wednesday with Chris Devotion, lead singer for the British band The Elvis Suicide and on Monday it's artist Jeremy Dale. There's not gonna be an entry on Sunday because it's Easter. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.


No comments:

Followers