Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pheaturing Polly Punkneck



Hello, welcome to the Church of the Phile. Yes, it's a new entry on a Sunday. The Phile will be posted on Sunday's for the next few weeks, so if you're bored in church, go ahead and read the Phile on your iPhone. I just want to mention that if anyone wants to pay me $45 million to stop doing this blog, I’ll stop. They announced that Legoland is coming to Orlando, and it'll take a year or so to build. A year? They should hire my son Logan, he has built 15 Lego sets since Christmas. Maybe I can leave my Disney job and go work for Legoland... hmmm. I'd want to start with sixty-thousand dollars a year and free Legos. New Jersey legalized medical marijuana. Finally, the cast of "Jersey Shore" can get a prescription for something other than penicillin. Let's talk about some movie news: I'm not surprised at the success of Avatar. People always like heroes that are brightly colored: The bright blue people in Avatar, the light green guy in Shrek, and the orange people on "Jersey Shore." Did you see the Golden Globes a week ago today? Where else can you see all the stars of TV and film getting drunk together? It was raining so badly, there was water spilling into the dress that Mariah Carey was spilling out of. Can you believe President Obama's has been in office for one year already? Traditionally, on the first anniversary, you're supposed to give paper, so I got him his birth certificate. The cable news networks are talking about how much Obama's approval ratings have dropped, but rest assured, he is still the most popular African-American president in American history.
The Supreme Court ruled today that corporations can now spend as much as they want on political candidates. I can’t see that having any negative repercussions, can you? Okay, as it's Sunday, and I said this is the Church of the Phile, I thought if you were wondering what religion you were, I would help. So, I got this fancy flow chart to help you figure it out. Good luck.

Now, there's two ways to look at religion. One is The Scientific Method: Here are the facts. What conclusions can we draw from them? And then there's The Creationist Method: Here's the conclusion, what facts can we find to support it? Anyway, I went to Christian store... no, that's not the joke. And I wanted to see if they had any inspirational posters, and I found this one.


And now for a new pheature on thePhile I will call...






Robert B. Parker
September 17, 1932 - January 18, 2010
Case closed.



41
Roman emperor Caligula is assassinated by his bodyguards.
1908
The first Boy Scout troop is organized in England by its founder, Robert Baden-Powell. He enjoyed watching the boys swim naked, and as a hobby he collected photographs of them.
1978
The nuclear-powered Soviet Cosmos 954 satellite plunges through Earth's atmosphere and disintegrates, scattering radioactive debris over parts of Canada's Northwest Territories. Much of the satellite lands in the Great Slave Lake; only about 1% of the radioactive material is recovered.
1986
Crackpot and founder of the fraudulent Scientology movement, L. Ron Hubbard dies. His bad science fiction writing has grown alarmly prolific in the years since his death.
1989
Ted Bundy put to death in the Electric Chair for the murder of Kimberly Leach, after ten years trying to appeal. Here is a post-mortem picture of the burns on Bundy's head.


Okay, on that note...


My guest this week specializes in an alternative country sound comprised of underground bluegrass, musical theatre, and rock n roll. She has spent the past 5 years traveling with a country-punk band from Hollywood, Jason and the Punknecks, singing and playing fierce rhythm guitar. She also fronts a brand spanking new, all-girl, country bluegrass band in Nashville, the Hillbilly Harlots. Polly’s "Hot Cute & Country" album is available soon!
She'll be appearing next on January 28th at Andy's Bar in Denton, Texas. Please welcome to the Phile... Polly Punkneck.


Me: Hello, Polly, how are you? Welcome to the Phile.

Polly: Hey! Thanks for the interview!

Me: I have to say, you are one tough looking, but very attractive and hot looking chick. How long have you had that Polly Punkneck looking style?

Polly: Looking independent has always been something I have strived for since childhood. but Polly Punkneck happened in Hollywood. It all started when I cut my hair into a mohawk for 'Locks of Love'. I was working at a Diner in L.A. (called the Brite Spot) and had a fundraiser for my customers to help raise money to go along with the hair... We raised $2000 bucks and sent them my hair... Over the years on the road, I have put together dresses for stage, and now I make them myself especially for our shows, can't forget the bloomers!

Me: Speaking of style, I have to ask you about your tattoos. How many do you have and how long have you had them? I have four, but they are no way as elaborate as yours.

Polly: I am sooo privledged to have them! I have about 6 right now from amazing artists all over the U.S. It started with my big chinese dragon on my upper right thigh. People love tryin to get a glimpse of this one :) I have a hot pinup playin the upright bass on my calf, an aligator coming out of a rose on my right forearm, a demon woman playing fiddle on my upper right arm, traditional hearts (w/ mom n pop) on my inner right arm, and my mamas name with a corncobb on my left wrist. everybody in the band at the time got a corncobb on them to represent the midwest, it was during the big corn floods.

Me: Polly, where are you from? I was thinking you're from California, Orange County, home of Social Distortion and No Doubt.

Polly: Nope, not a Cali girl, but that is where Polly began... I'm from Kansas. A midwest girl. A hillbilly that looks from the city!

Me: Are you fans of Social D? I met Mike Ness once and he was one of the coolest people.

Polly: Oh hell yes! And so are our fans! We play at Pikes out in Longbeach, CA. The owner was a Social D member, it's one of the coolest bars, with great food! :)

Me: When did you start playing guitar and singing, Polly?

Polly: I started singing as I was coming out of my mothers pussycat! I was always involved with choir, voice lessons, musical theatre growing up. In fact, that was my job as a miner; performing in musicals at different theaters around town. I have always loved the stage, I feel most comfortable on the stage. But guitar is different. I picked up a big baby taylor 2 months before joining Jason and the Punknecks. I taught myself with a DVD, hehe. And then from there I have learned different things from all the guitarists we have seen and worked with. But, I grew up around acoustic instruments my whole life! My folks raised me at Bluegrass Festivals, every year we went and camped out and listened to the most badass pickers in the nation!

Me: You write your own songs as well, right? Is that something you really enjoy doing?

Polly: I definitly love writing, and I will continue to write more.

Me: Polly, who is in your band, and how did you all meet? Your husband is in your band, right? He has a lot of tats as well. Doesn't he have some on his face?

Polly: Yes, he has tattoos on his face! I involve him in a lot of my music, especially because we are always on the road together with Punkneck shows. We work with soo many different musicians, whoever is around that region at the time, or whoever is available at that time. As for permanent members, well, you can always count on Mr. and Mrs. punkneck!

Me: You are in another band as well, called Hillbilly Harlots. What a great name. How is that band different from Jason and the Punknecks?

Polly: Well, it's all sexy females, and has a much more traditional sound. There is no 'punk' in the Harlots.

Me: You are working on a CD called "Hot, Cute and Country", which fits you to a T. What can you tell the readers of the Phile about your new album, and would it be available on iTunes?

Polly: When is it due to be released? I have been working on this album for 3 years now! It is very overdue to come out. But 2010 is the year! As soon as it is finished, I will have it at live shows, and I will get it online for digital download. You can always go hear a taste of the Album on my myspace www.myspace.com/pollypunkneck.

Me: Polly, as well as being a very talented musician you also design jewelry as well. When did you start doing that, and what do you enjoy more? Is your jewelry available to buy anywhere?

Polly: I have been making gauged earrings for my ears because I couldn't afford to buy any. That's how it started, and then I got a lot of fans and friends interested in having some for themselves. So, I started making more and selling them at shows. I am always selling out, and coming to cities without them. But, I will continue to make them and try and have some available at all shows. I have also been making bloomers for sale, but have the same dilema. Selling out, not having enough. But I will continue to work on both earrings and bloomers, and try and have them availble at shows! And maybe in the future you can buy them online!

Me: Polly, thanks for being on the Phile. I hope this was fun, and when your CD comes out, you are welcomed back. Tell Jason he can come as well. All the best, and continued success. Go ahead and plug your website, Facebook and Myspace, Polly. You rock.

Polly: Thanks for the interview! You can catch Polly Punkneck on myspace, facebook, twitter, and all over the United States performing and chattin it up with her fans! xoxox.


Well, I hope you had fun reading this latest blog. Thanks to Polly for a really good interview, and I will def have her back on the Phile. Also thanks to Wikipedia for help with the history lesson. The Phile will be back for another worship next Sunday with cute Canadian singer Crissi Cochrane. So, until then, spread the word, not the turd, bye love you, bye.





1 comment:

Veesugee said...

Such a brilliant interview, and an even more inspiring woman!

Followers