Monday, May 18, 2009

Pheaturing Jennifer Newberry



PHIRST OF

Hello, welcome to a Monday edition of the Phile, coming to you from rainy Clermont. Yes, I am doing it in the rain. So, did you see the finale of "Survivor" last night? I was watching it when the power went out 'cause of our storm. I just hop the DVR recorded it, and I really hope that Coach didn't win. Okay, I didn't plan a monologue today so here's the monologue ripped off from Jimmy Fallon's show. President Obama fired our top military commander in Afghanistan. It was a tough call to fire him, but in the end, he hired Joan Rivers. Shirley Jones, the 75-year-old actress from the "Partridge Family," may pose nude for Playboy. She said after 50 years in the business, she's ready to let it all hang down. A 12-year-old boy in Iran is officially running for president. They say it's the craziest thing to happen in Iran since a woman drove a car. Officials say the economy is affecting the cocaine market. It's not only affecting the cocaine industry, it's trickling down... today, Obama asked for a bailout of the tiny spoon industry. The New York State Assembly passed a bill approving same-sex marriage. It goes to the state Senate where it will likely face a closer vote. In other words, the bill could go both ways. An Amish teenager in Upstate New York was ticketed for having beer in his horse-drawn buggy. I don't see what the big deal is — it's not like he was riding around with light bulbs. A Canadian scientist was arrested for smuggling vials of Ebola into the U.S. This wouldn't happen if we'd just legalize Ebola. Barack Obama has announced that his administration will not release photos of prisoners being abused. It's not because they don't want to, it's because they don't have the password to Dick Cheney's camera phone. One more thing... speaking of Barack, did you see the picture of him when he did his last speech? Guess he has Star Trek fever, and why shouldn't he? Take a look at this:




1843
"I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left." -- Joseph Smith, prophet of God and founder of the Mormon church.
1904
In Paris, 12 nations ratify the International Agreement for the Suppression of the White Slave Trade. Another 48 countries and territories follow suit over the next six years. Conspicuously absent from the list of signatories is the United States of America.
1936
Tokyo gangster Kichizo Ishida is accidentally strangled by his mistress during a session of rough sex. Ishida had been a "gasper," someone who enjoys the sexual effects of asphyxiation. The woman, Sada Abe, indulged him by wrapping her pink kimono belt around his neck. After her lover's death, Abe cuts off Ishida's penis and scrotum with a meat cleaver and carries them around until she is finally arrested, three days later.
1980
The body of Ian Curtis, lead singer of dirge band Joy Division, is discovered hanging in the kitchen by his wife. Curtis killed himself on the eve of Joy Division's U.S. tour. His surviving bandmates go on to form New Order.
1980
After a 5.1 magnitude earthquake in Washington state, 57 people are killed in an avalanche of volcanic mud in the eruption of Mount St. Helens. The volcano spews out 200 million cubic yards of of pumice, ash, and debris which covers 24 square miles of the valley below.




Nikki Finke over at Deadline Hollywood has once again come through on yet another Marvel casting scoop; this time it would appear as if actor Chris Hemsworth who played Kirk's father in the opening scenes of Star Trek has been cast as Thor in Marvel's big-budgeted, live-action film due out in theaters on May 20, 2011. Kenneth Branagh is set to direct, with production currently scheduled to begin early next year. Hemsworth is a bit of a departure from the big, familiar names Marvel has been using to populate its superhero films but he's a solid choice; a bright, young pretty face who, like Chris Pine, seems destined to break out in the next year. Not only did he land a pretty sweet role in Trek, but he's currently shooting the horror flick The Cabin in the Woods (written by Joss Whedon, directed by Cloverfield's Drew Goddard), was just cast in the Red Dawn remake and starred on the popular Aussie show "Home and Away". Hemsworth joins a production that doesn't have anyone cast as of yet, and since they're going with a relative unknown in the lead role, look for Marvel and Branagh to stick some known faces around him (Josh Hartnett has been rumored to be up for the part of villain). What do you think of Hemsworth? Is Marvel taking a risk by casting an unknown in the lead role, or is this the best way to go when it comes to Thor, the Viking God of thunder?





Alright, now for our guest today. She's a talented singer who just started her tour a few days ago. She has a really cool EP out on iTunes and is currently working on her new album. Not only that but she's hot as well. Please welcome to the Phile... Jennifer Newberry.



Me: Hello, Jennifer, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Jennifer: Thank you, I’m doing really well!

Me: Where were you born, Jen, and where do you live now? Your mother is Swedish, right? Did you spend a lot of time in Sweden?

Jennifer: I was born in Ozark Alabama. But we only lived there for 3 months. My father was in the military so we moved around. We moved from Alabama to Georgia to California to Germany and then to Sweden. I was only 3 years old when I arrived in Sweden with my mother and brother. I grew up in my mother’s hometown of Sundsvall but I moved back to the states September 2002. I lived in Seattle for a year and then I moved to New York but now I’m back in Seattle.

Me: Are you known over there?

Jennifer:  I think people know who I am in my hometown but also people in the music business. I have worked with a lot of producers in Sweden.

Me: You live in Seattle now... you must really like the rain.

Jennifer: Yes, I live in Seattle right now. I don’t like the rain that much but the summers here are beautiful and I love the water!

Me: I watched your videos, Jen, and like them. Tell me about them, where they were made and do they take long to shoot?

Jennifer: Mostly they are all filmed in Seattle at my house but there are a few video that were filmed in New York and Sweden. Sometimes it can take a whole day to record the video because I want them to be perfect.

Me: In two of your videos you are laying down. Was that the director's idea or yours?

Jennifer: It was my idea and I directed the videos and filmed them myself.

Me: Your band is called 4More, right? Tell the readers who is in the band with you?

Jennifer: 4More is a cover band that I’m in. But I also do my solo thing. The members of 4More is Robert Lovy, he started the band, plays the piano, sings and handles the mixing of the sound. Then there’s Jeff Powell, he plays the guitar and sings. The last but not least is Rig 7, the drummer. I’m the lead vocalist.

Me: Jen, when you are not performing, what do you do for fun?

Jennifer: I like to play soccer, record in the studio and write songs. I like being out and about. Play pool, snowboard and go to the movies. Normal stuff. In the summer I really like to be on the water.

Me: Who is Melodie MC? Is she a friend of yours?

Jennifer: Melodie MC is a he and he lives in Sundsvall, Sweden, my hometown. He was a well known rapper in Sweden in the late 90s and he was featured on my single “Jump To The Beat” that was released in 1999. He is a friend of mine.

Me: You have four songs on iTunes, which I downloaded... are you doing a full length album?

Jennifer: Yes I’m workin g on a new album right now. It’s going to be called “Inspiration From The Rain” and it’s going to be a full-length album. The plan is to have it released sometime later this year.

Me: You do a lot of shows in Washington, but any chance you are going on tour and will play Florida? Do you sing all originals in concert or do covers as well?

Jennifer: The cover band that I play with is all covers but sometimes I throw in original songs as well. But I’m starting a band where I’m going to be playing my songs. All my shows are in WA state right now but maybe in the future I'll come to Florida as well!

Me: I love your song "Daddy". Is that about your dad? What does he think of it?

Jennifer: Yes, that song is about my father. I think it made him a little sad. But he loves that song and is very proud of me!

Me: Okay, mention any websites or anything else you wanna plug, Jen. And I hope when your CD comes out I can interview you again. Take care.

Jennifer: Please visit my myspace @ http:www.myspace.com/jennifernewberry for information like when I’m performing or just to listen to my new songs. You can also find me here: http://www.jennifernewberry.com, http://www.youtube.com/jennifernewberryhttp://www.jennifernewberrymusic.blogspot.com and http://www.twitter.com/JenNewberry
Right now I’m letting people download some of my new songs just go to www.gmail.com log in as: jennifernewberrydownload password: jennifernewberrymusic.


PHINALLY

Man, where on the internet can't you find info on Jennifer. Anyway, thanks to her, Wikipedia and Jimmy Fallon for a great blog. Don;t forget to check out the websites the Phile sponsors... TACAnow.org and generationrescue.com as well as Jennifer's hundreds of pages on the web. The Phile will be back on Friday where we continue Artist Month with Craig Hollow. So, until then, spread the word, not the turd.





No comments:

Followers