Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pheaturing Aradia


Hello, and welcome to the Phile. How are you? It's so cold right now here in Central Florida, I wish I had a cup of warm tea. That's me complaining. How are you? Right now here in Central Florida it's 39°F just in case you're wondering.  A federal judge on Friday struck down as unconstitutional a North Carolina law that requires female state residents to both receive an ultrasound and then listen to somebody describe the image to her, preferably with one of those really sad Sarah McLaughlin songs playing in the background.  A Texas man was arrested and charged with "waving a homemade sign" for standing on the highway and holding a board reading "Police Ahead" to alert drivers of a speed trap a short distance up the road. The man claims that he was simply acting as a human sign post: "I'm the same thing as a speed limit sign, just reminding people that there is a limit here." You know, I always thought before a cop gives you a speeding ticket, they should at least have to listen to the song you had on.  A feminist website called Jezebel is feminist-ically offering a $10,000 reward for anybody who can produce un-Photoshopped images from actor-writer-director Lena Dunham's recent spread in Vogue so that they can show the world what she really looks like... despite the fact that she shows the world what she really looks like when she gets naked every week on "Girls"... thus improving life for women everywhere. Reactions are mixed. Wait a minute. I want to see this spread in Vogue. At least ons picture.


There we go. Moving on...  A 66 year old California woman lost more than $500,000 of her retirement money to a Nigerian scammer that she met through the Christian Mingle website. So, people are using religious institutions to steal money from people nowadays? When did this start happening?!  Hey, I didn't talk Oscars yet this weekend, did I? American Hustle and Nebraska are among the several dozen Oscar nominees for Best Picture of 2013. The exclusive list... which also includes 12 Years a Slave, Philomena and Captain Phillips was announced to much industry excitement. The Wolf of Wall Street and Gravity are among the other films that may take home the iconic golden statuette in March. Several movies were not nominated. Easiest way to make the 2014 Oscars sound interesting: "It's pirates versus astronauts versus sideboob!"  According to a recent study out of the University of Melbourne, magical bullshit like psychic powers and fortune telling hoohah are not real and likely the result of people's brains playing tricks on them. But you probably knew they were going to say that, didn't you? Subpoenas will likely be issued to many members of Chris Christie's staff for their roles in, and the knowledge they may have of, the politically motivated traffic nightmare that occurred on the George Washington Bridge in New Jersey back in September. Just imagine the size of the traffic jam they're gonna cause in retaliation for this.  Two Ohio pot dealers were arrested after calling the police to report that a gang of teenagers with whom they'd met to play-fight with swords in a Taco Bell parking lot... had assaulted them with pepper spray and run off with their stash. This is the life they chose to live.  J.C. Penney will be closing 33 of its department stores around the nation, which will probably only affect you if you're one of the 2,000 people losing their jobs or if you happen to need to buy a cheap turtle neck sweater. Actually, I like J.C. Penney... they sell some cool t-shirts there. There's one here in Clermont, I wonder if that's closing down.  Yesterday I mentioned that the Professor from "Gilligan's Island" passed away. His name was Russell Johnson... anyway, I didn't know they released an inspirational poster with the Professor on it.


Haha. Didn't Laird Jim make a comment about the Professor last Saturday on the Phile's 8th anniversary entry? I think Laird said "if the Professor on "Gilligan's Island" was so fucking smart, how come he couldn't fix a three foot hole in the boat on an island full of trees? Ha! Maybe Laid wrote the text on the inspirational poster.  So, there's a new band coming out that I am sure Gene Simmons has something to do with.


That's so dumb.  One of the things I like to do in my spare time is to go on Twitter and see what people are talking about on certain things. One of the words I look up is Foghat and this is a Tweet I saw recently...



Was that a real "Futurama" episode? I think Tim is lying. Alright, speaking of Foghat, the folks over at ultimateclassicrock.com are running an Ultimate Classic Rock Hall of Fame battle. This week it's Styx versus Foghat...


Let's see how Foghat is doing.


There doesn't seem much of a change. Anyway, today is the last day to vote and you have until 11:59pm ET to vote. So, go to ultimateclassicrock.com and rock the vote! And now, from the home office in Port Jefferson, here is...


Top Phive Alex Rodriguez's Stats On His 2014 Baseball Card
5. Seasons of "Breaking Bad" binged-watched... 4.
4. Amount of money saved, not having to buy PEDs this year... $15,000.
3. Tosistos eaten, despite haven fallen on the floor... 19.
2. Pizza guys who have awkwardly accepted unwanted autograph... 9.
And the number one stat on A-Rod's 2014 baseball card is...
1. Prank calls made to Bud Selig... 48.




If you spot the Mindphuck email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. Okay, so, who cries a lot? I cry once in awhile... I'm a man, I admit it. Anyway, over the eight years on the Phile I hopefully made you laugh and I know sometimes I made you angry or mad, but I thought I never made you cry. So, people, I don't really want to make you cry, but I need to get some kind of emotion out of you. So, here's a new pheature I call...


When some kids left this note to track down the owner of a forgotten skateboard that they could’ve easily stolen.


Are you crying? Shit. I'm such a wuss. Haha. Okay, so, do you know what time it is? He's a patriot and renaissance man. Please welcome back to the Phile Laird Jim because it's...


Good morning humans... Laying in bed, letting my mind wander on this Sunday morn. Here's the random path my mind chose today. They say that God created the heavens and earth in six days and on the seventh day he rested. Well... I'm just picturing God doing bong hits on the couch in his sweats and Led Zeppelin t-shirt, playing XBox "Call Of Duty", surrounded by empty Dominos pizza boxes and cans of Dr. Pepper. And if you think THAT'S the only reason I'm going to hell, you obviously haven't been paying attention to the rest of my antics since my divorce four years ago. Enjoy your "day of rest", my twisted little meat puppets.





Today's pheatured guest is a talented singer whose two latest releases "Possibilities:Dark" and "Possibilities:Light" are now available on iTunes. Please welcome to the Phile... Aradia.


Me: Hello, Aradia, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Aradia: Hello, thanks for having me! I’m doing well... busy, but good.

Me: That's a pretty name, Aradia. What does it mean?

Aradia: Thank you! I honestly don’t know for sure, but it’s been referenced as the name of the Goddess Diana’s Daughter (from Roman mythology).

Me: I have to tell you, you are beautiful and gorgeous, you don't have to dress up and put all that make up on. I saw this picture of you to prove it.



Me: Do you like dressing up and trying different styles?

Aradia: Wow, well thank you! I dress up and put makeup on because it’s fun, and lets me be whoever I want to be that day or moment. I’ve always been into futuristic, sci-fi, and fantasy dress & makeup... it’s a way to become what we imagine and I often feel more at home in the fantasy world. I also believe that self-adornment is a very basic human practice, and should be done from a place of positivity and love for one’s self... to highlight beauty, not to artificially create it.

Me: Have you always been into dressing up?

Aradia: Pretty much! Since childhood I’ve been making my own clothing and costumes, buying odd pieces in thrift stores and sometimes altering them into new things, and dressing up for fun and for performances.

Me: Aradia, where are you from?

Aradia: I grew up in New York, mostly in Long Island and Brooklyn.

Me: I grew up on Long Island as well. Where do you live now, Aradia?

Aradia: I live in Seattle. I miss New York a lot, but Seattle’s a pretty special place.

Me: Have you always been a solo artist or did you spend time in different bands?

Aradia: When I was a teenager I was in a few bands, and then I was in a band called Twelfth Planet. I’ve been solo on and off for a while, but it’s become a permanent thing over the last couple of years. 

Me: Your music has been described as roktronika. If I had to guess I'd say that is a combination of rock and electronica music. Am I right?

Aradia: Yep! You’re exactly right.

Me: Did you come up with that yourself?

Aradia: I did. It’s shorter than the description!

Me: Who are your influences, Aradia? I hear a little of Bjork in your music, but very little.

Aradia: Good ear! I’m definitely influenced by Bjork, as well as others. My darker album "Possibilities:Dark" has more of that flavor. Other influences for me are Blondie, Goldfrapp, Annie Lennox and Cocteau Twins.

Me: Did you grow up listening to Madonna?

Aradia: Oh absolutely, and she’s a powerful influence for me, too.

Me: I interviewed a singer a few times here named Lila Rose. Do you know her? You two are pretty similar and would make some great music together. Anyway, I will tell you the same thing I told her once... years ago I could of interviewed Lady Gaga but somehow it slipped away. She got too big. Anyway, your music is a lot better than hers and I think you should be making Christmas specials with the Muppets and become bigger. Do you like Lady Gaga?

Aradia: Haha... that’s AWESOME. You must be psychic, because I’m an insane maniac Muppets fan. In fact, that’s one of my nicknames!! I really appreciate that compliment. I think Lady Gaga’s fascinating and her music is catchy, but I wouldn’t call myself a fan. I haven’t heard of Lila Rose, but I’ll be looking her up now!

Me: I asked Lila what she thought of Miley Cyrus and she said something like she was the trouble with music today. What do you think of Miley?

Aradia: Ah, the inevitable question. Miley’s fascinating, too. I’d love to have a conversation with her to hear what she really thinks and what she’s doing. I’ve read some really interesting quotes from her, like one where she mentions that the “industry” does things like bleep out when she said “molly” or the “f” word, but did nothing when she was on stage in her underwear acting like a sex maniac. It makes me curious, since this implies she’s aware of what she’s doing. Maybe she’s not exploiting herself, but the weaknesses of the masses.

Me: I agree. Okay, let's talk about your music. You have two EP's out... "Possibilities:Light" and "Possibilities:Dark". Which one came first?

Aradia: "Dark". I released that in December 2012.

Me: How would you compare them? Light and dark I'm guessing. Haha.

Aradia: Precisely. "Dark" is a collection of songs that reflect my more pensive moments and darker reflections on people, loneliness, and life in general. "Light" is really just that... it’s happy and while it’s still reflective it’s much more lighthearted and dancy.

Me: Were they recorded at the same time?

Aradia: Largely yes. I wrote & recorded "Trouble" & "Keep On" weeks before the "Light" release, but the others were recorded earlier.

Me: Are these your first releases, Aradia?

Aradia: They’re my first solo releases.

Me: I love the song "Today" and the video. Where was it filmed, Aradia?

Aradia: I’m so glad you like it! I filmed it at the school yard across the street from my house, as well as inside my house.

Me: You play two characters in it, am I right?

Aradia: That’s right, the me from the 80s and the sort of jaded me of the 21st century that needs to be reminded to have fun & be in “the now.”

Me: Aradia, you play a few instruments, am I right? Did you start playing young?

Aradia: Yes, I play piano, flute and guitar. I’m so pathetically rusty on piano though, it’s depressing. 

Me: What was the first instrument you learned to play?

Aradia: Piano was my first instrument. I started playing when I was 3, and flute when I was 8.

Me: Do you remember what the first song you ever wrote was?

Aradia: Haha, yes I actually do. It was the “Green Song.” I apparently have synesthesia, so colors always meant tunes to me.

Me: I have to ask you about this, you opened for Muse? When and where was this and was this the biggest show you have ever played?

Aradia: Yes, when I was with Twelfth Planet, we played a small “unplugged” show in Atlanta when Muse was playing. This wasn’t very publicized, so it wasn’t a very big show. My biggest show so far was the Chicago Auto Show in front of about 100,000 people. I almost died.

Me: I also have to ask you about the beautiful dog on the "Possibilities:Light" cover. Is that your husky?

Aradia: Yes! He’s actually a husky-wolf hybrid and he controls my household. Thanks for asking about him... he’s very special to me and in general.

Me: What is his name?

Aradia: His name is Khan as in, The Wrath of.

Me: Clever. He also has a brief cameo in the "Today" video as well I think, doesn't he?

Aradia: Yep! He was a little overwhelmed by all the people and action but he was determined to get on camera.

Me: Okay, so, on the Phile I ask random questions thanks to Tabletopics. Are you ready?

Aradia: Ready as I’ll ever be!

Me: Good. Is it more essential to develop beliefs or gain knowledge?

Aradia: Gain knowledge, definitely. Beliefs can become convictions, which can prevent us from learning and growing. Knowledge generally leads to more curiosity which drives us to learn more. A beautiful “vicious cycle!”

Me: Nice answer. Thanks for being on the Phile. Go ahead and mention your website or anything else you want to. Continued success and please come back soon.

Aradia: I’m honored to be here, thanks so much for inviting me to talk with you! My website is aradiamusic.com. Join me on Facebook facebook.com/AradiasMusic, follow me on Twitter where I don’t tweet about myself all day! Twitter.com/AradiasMusic... and listen to my tunes on Soundcloud soundcloud.com/Aradias-Music. Lastly, you can find my albums on iTunes, Amazon, and most other online channels. Thanks again!

Me: Anytime, Aradia.






There you go, another entry of the Phile done. Thanks to my guests Laird Jim and Aradia. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Lauren McCullough who has an amazing story you can read on her blog at thenotdyinggirl.com. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever.





No comments:

Followers