Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pheaturing Phile Alum Lindsay Rush


Hello, kids, welcome to the Phile... it's Sunday. How are you? It's a beautiful day here in Central Florida. It's so nice that Diana Nyad swam back to Cuba.  Senator John McCain, during a Senate session on whether we're going to teach Syria a lesson, was caught playing online poker. I was stunned. John McCain knows how to use a computer? Really? Everybody is criticizing McCain, but compared to what other politicians are doing on their iPhones, that's not so bad, okay?  President Obama is asking Congress to support a military strike in Syria. If they approve, it will be the first time Congress has officially declared war since Obamacare. All week President Obama has been saying he will seek congressional approval for the strike but he insists he doesn’t really need it. When asked by the media if he was sending mixed messages, the president said: "Yes and no." President Obama says the lack of response to Syria so far does not threaten his credibility. And you know something, he's right. The economy, Benghazi, the spying scandal... that threatens his credibility, but this other stuff, no.  Are you excited about the new iPhone? Every two months we get a new iPhone. This one is thinner, lighter weight, and more slender. So it's much easier to lose in a cab.  They announced the new cast of "Dancing With the Stars". As is the custom, President Obama introduced the new cast at a press conference on the White House lawn. This will be the 17th season of "Dancing With the Stars," but still with no stars.  The new season of "Sesame Street" will focus more on problem solving. When he heard that, Obama said, "What time's that show on?"  A new study found that using Facebook has actually changed how our brains work. Yeah, it's true. Before Facebook, when you said you liked something, you actually did.  On his way back from visiting his "friend for life" Kim Jong-il in scenic North Korea, a cigar-smoking, silver-sequined-cap-wearing Dennis Rodman told reporters in Beijing that negotiating the release of imprisoned American Kenneth Bae was "not his job," before telling them to "Ask Obama about that. Ask Hillary Clinton about that. Ask those assholes." Lots of people are talking about Rodman, so his trip is being considered a huge success. Can't we just send Dennis Rodman to Syria since he's such a baller?  Aaron Hernandez appeared in court yesterday and pled "not guilty" to six charges, including one for first-degree murder. The former New England Patriot appears to be using the "Hey, this worked for O.J., what's the worst that can happen?" line of defense. What if Aaron Hernandez is innocent and this is all so they can film a reality television spin-off of "The Longest Yard"? So, I was at the store the other day and I saw a poster for The Wizard of Oz that I thought was odd.


Man, I don't like that Toto song.  Just now I mentioned "Sesame Street" and they have a new poster out explaining some of the characters.

 
Oscar is great, and it's true what it says about him. By the way, why is Big Bird holding a flower?  I have to show you this, this picture is real, I have no idea what the context was, but I thought I just had to show it.


A lion wouldn't cheat, but a Tiger would. Haha. What the hell? It's my like own Mindphuck. If anyone knows what this is about email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com.  A Phile reader sent me this ad...


Ummm... I think you're doing it wrong.  Okay, so, there's a lot of interesting teams out there with some interesting names. I have been showing you some of them and I have a new one today.


WTF? Yes, you heard it right; Fighting Cocks is the name of the team from Cocke County High School, a public high school located in Newport, Tennessee. The school serves around 1,100 students in a predominately rural area of East Tennesse. Crazy. Okay, now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is...


Top Phive Startling Similarities Between Miley Cyrus' VMA Performance And Syria's Use Of Chemical Weapons
5. An unconscionable act against humanity.
4. Most Republicans think it's Obama's fault.
3. Billy Ray Cyrus doesn't have a clue about it.
2. Majority of Americans support military action to ensure it never happens again.
And the number one startling similarity between Miley's VMA performance and Syria's use of chemical weapons is...
1. Anyone who witnessed it said the horrific images are seared into their memories forever.





Haha. If you spot it email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. Okay, so, guess what time it is? He's a singer, patriot, renaissance man, and phriend of the Phile. It's...


Me: "It's very nice to meet you, I'm a huge fan of your father's work." Sean Lennon: "What do you think of my music?" Me: "I love what Julian has been working on the past several records." Sean Lennon: "Are you a fan of my Mom's music?" Me: "...it was very nice meeting you, have a wonderful day." Too soon after breakfast to be lying to people... We're American... nothing can stop us. We're New Yorkers... nothing can kill us. You may knock us down... but we'll just dust off and get back up again. Bigger, better and stronger. Let freedom ring.


Laird Jim, everybody. Thanks, Laird.


The 34th artist to be pheatured in the Phile's Art Gallery is DJ Clulow, and this is one of his pieces...


I said yesterday that DJ will be a guest in a few weeks, but really he'll be on the Phile a week from today.




Alright, five years ago when today's pheatured guest was here she was coming out with her single "Studio Apartment". Five years later she is s songwriter, artist developer, manager, and President of her own company Pop in a Snap! She has come a long way. Please welcome back to the Phile... Lindsay Rush.


Me: Hello, Lindsay, welcome back to the Phile. Wow, you have grown since you were here last in 5 years. How are you?

Linday: I'm well, thanks!

Me: So, last time you were here you were about to release your single "Studio Apartment" which I have to admit, is a fantastic catchy song. So, did you ever get your studio apartment in the city?

Lindsay: Thank you so much! Wow, that was a long time ago. To answer your question, yes, I did... in more ways than one. Someone actually pointed out to me a few years ago that I didn't get a "Studio Apartment in the city." that I actually got was an "apartment in Studio City" in LA. I thought that was funny. That song was about having a life that makes you truly happy and fulfilled, and I'm proud to say that so much has happened since the release of that song, and I've gotten everything that the song symbolized for me. But it isn't over yet. That song is about living a whole life filled with truly wonderful people, experiences, and things. So I've still got a lot more to do... it doesn't begin and end with one or two goals accomplished. It has to be habitual.

Me: So, you were a singer, but decided to stay in the music business and work behind the scenes. What made you decide to do that, Lindsay?

Lindsay: After spending a long time on the road and being an artist, I realized that as much as I loved it, I didn't "need" it for my soul. What I "need" are songwriting and the business of music... those things keep me happy and motivated beyond belief. Going without those elements, I'd feel empty. And no matter how long or difficult a particular songwriting or business process may be, 99.9% of the time, I end up feeling like it was worth it. When I was performing every night on tour, sometimes I'd have that "jumping-up-and-down," "dancing-around-my-dressing-room" accomplished feeling. But more often than not, I just ended up feeling like it was just one more day on the road. That's not to say that I didn't love it. I did. But there's a huge difference between something your soul NEEDS and something that just makes you feel good. I will say though, without fail, meeting the fans at the meet & greets every night never disappointed me or left me feeling neutral by any means. I got to meet so many incredible people from all over the world as an artist. And many of them still keep up with me today, via Facebook and Twitter (@LindsayRush). I still appreciate my supporters/fans... past and present, as much as I ever have... maybe even more now, because it's one thing to jump on someone's bandwagon when it's the heat of the moment and you've just seen them play. But it's a whole different story when those people are still supporting you five years later. The level of appreciation that I have for these people is immeasurable, and I love hearing from them.

Me: You were doing pretty good performing, you even toured with Pat Benatar who you became good friends with, am I right? What was that experience like, touring?

Lindsay: Yes, that's right. Pat is like a second mom to me. Touring itself was incredible. Touring with Pat in particular was even better. I've toured with a lot of major artists, but something about the close bond between Pat and me made those tours extra special. I felt very safe and taken care of, which was a significant thing, being that my first national tour with her was also my first time ever being out on my own. I was pretty young. So once we clicked, I had no worries. Plus, she made sure that I called home on a regular basis, which I know my mom appreciated. She actually reprimanded me the one time that I didn't return a phone call from my parents the same day. Haha It definitely made it easier to just get out there and do what I needed to do, knowing that good night, bad night, whatever... she was more or less waiting for me in the wings, with a congratulatory hug and glass of champagne, or a supportive hug and advice to help me do it better the next night.

Me: Do you still perform and sing?

Lindsay: I still sing. I'll ALWAYS sing. I often record the demo vocals for the songs that I write for other artists. But I don't perform anymore, except on the rare occasion that an opportunity comes along that means something special to me. For example, I'm still a national spokesperson for Bully Prevention. So I'll play an event once in a while for that. Or sometimes I'll make an appearance if a friend or co-writer is playing a show and asks me to sit in on a song or two. But I'm not an artist anymore.

Me: So, you are an A&R rep and work under LA Reid. We'll talk about that in a minute. Did you go to school to learn about the music industry or did you learn everything yourself?

Lindsay: Yup, I do A&R and Artist Development now in addition to being a full-time songwriter. I no longer work for LA Reid, but it was a very positive experience while I did. He's always in good spirits and is full of energy. He'd come to the office and dance down the hallways. It's no wonder he gets so much done! He and I are also very like-minded, so being a part of his team worked out well for me. I didn't go to school to learn about the music industry. There are plenty of schools that offer those courses, of course. But to me, experience trumps being in a lecture hall in this scenario. You'll never learn what you really need to know, until you experience it for yourself. The good, the bad, and the ugly. It's all about finding your own identity and making a place for yourself... something you can't do while you're sitting in a classroom. Experience is the best teacher, and I've also been blessed with some incredible mentors who are generous enough to make their hindsight my foresight.

Me: So, you write music for other artists.

Lindsay: Yes. I write for other artists, and I love it. It allows me the freedom of exploring different genres as opposed to having to pigeon-hole myself into one, like I had to do as an artist.

Me: Is there anybody out there that you really like, and wish you can write for? Justin Bieber perhaps?

Lindsay: I would love to have a song cut by Carrie Underwood. I remember seeing her very first televised audition for "American Idol", and calling my mom and being like, "Mom, there's this little 'farm girl,' and she's going to win the whole thing!" I've loved her ever since. Also, Martina McBride, Keith Urban, Kelly Clarkson. And there are also some new artists who are in their development processes, who I'm vey excited about.

Me: What type of music are you into?

Lindsay: I mostly listen to pop/country and singer-songwriter stuff. Maria Mena is my favorite artist. 

Me: Okay, let's talk about Pop in a Snap! That's your company, right? What is it?

Lindsay: Yes. Pop in a Snap! is my song pitching company. I have a roster of writers that I've signed. I set them up on co-writes and pitch their songs for different projects. I started the company in December because in doing A&R, I kept coming across these amazing songs that deserve really amazing homes, and they just hadn't found them yet. Maybe the song wasn't right for MY project, but in my gut, I knew this song was destined for greatness. And I wanted to be a vehicle for material like that.

Me: I'm proud of you, you are so successful. What do your parents think of your success?

Lindsay: Thank you! They're happy if I'm happy. And my mom in particular, likes the free band merch! :-)

Me: I read in your bio you worked with Oprah? Doing what?

Lindsay: When I was working with Pat Benatar, we did an episode of "Oprah" in her last season. Meeting Oprah was as close to meeting God as I'll ever come... for a while, at least. She walks into the room and there's this glow surrounding her, yet at the same time, you instantly feel comfortable. I feel blessed to have someone like that around in my lifetime. What an example!

Me: I was looking at some photo's of you and there's one photoshoot where you are holding a cigarette. You're not smoking, are you? I have it right here.



Lindsay: Hahaha. No way! I need my voice to hold up for the long haul... whether it's for singing or speaking. That was just a prop. It was just one cigarette for one shoot. It was fun to change my image up for a minute.

Me: I see you have a tattoo on your wrist... it's music notes, but doers it mean anything?

Lindsay: Yes it definitely does! The note is a B and the symbol next to it is a "Natural" sign..."Be Natural." So I'm always reminded to be true to myself.

Me: Alright, so where do you see yourself in about five years?

Lindsay: That's tough. My life seems to be in the process of shifting every day. I would say just doing more of the same, only doing it even better. If I'm not going to grow as I go, then what's the point, right?

Me: Right. Okay, so on the Phile I am asking random questions thanks to Tabletopics. Are you ready? What did you get into the most trouble for when you were young?

Lindsay: Hahaha! Wow, I didn't see this question coming. Let me think... Oh! I know. When I was four-ish, I had a friend over, and we decided it would be fun to make a "pool" in the kitchen. So basically that meant that we flooded the kitchen with spring water in attempt to create an indoor pool... most likely inspired by the one that Daddy Warbucks had in the movie, Annie.

Me: Nice. Lindsay, take care, and continued success.

Lindsay: Thank you so much! Same to you!




There you go. That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to Laird Jim and of course Lindsay Rush. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Phile Alum Kevin Hearn from Barenaked Ladies. Then next Saturday it's singer Kim Richey, on Sunday artist DJ Clulow and on Monday singer Deirdre Broderick. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!




No comments:

Followers