Sunday, November 1, 2015

Pheaturing Late Nite Cable


Rabbit. Hey there, and welcome to the Phile for a Sunday. Hey, it's the end of Daylight Savings Time. "Who does Daylight Savings Time have to end? I don't need that extra hour of sleep," said no kid ever. Today is the New York Marathon. Best of luck finishing the New York Marathon while I'm finishing a pile of Halloween candy.  Let's start this entry with a story about a teacher drawing something besides a gold star on a student's paper. His parents are VERY mad. In El Paso, Texas, one Chapin High teacher uses a pretty hard-to-grasp system for grading papers. If you did well, you get a high grade. Okay, so far so good. But, if you did badly, you get a big dick scrawled on your paper. Huh. At least that's what an unnamed student reported to his parents and school administration. His mother, Sandra Green, is herself a teacher and was skeptical of her son's initial reprt, "I'm an educator myself so I said, there's no way the teacher really did this." But then it turned out that Language Arts teacher Kim Juzdowski absolutely did! In fact, Ms. Juzdowski admitted it immediately when questioned, even writing a letter of apology (or non-apology, really) to the Greens, saying, "I'm sorry (blank) took offense and I totally understand if you would like to meet with an administrator and have him moved." According to Juzdowski, there was absolutely nothing sexual about the enormous phallus she drew for her teenage student. It was about embarrassing him. He studied like dick, so he got a dick. Juzdowski's skills as an artist appear limited, so presumably her students are never depicted as anything more complicated than genitals. Sandra Green says the school is refusing to fire Juzdowski. Ironically, they say they would've if she had denied drawing The Penis, but since she apologized, y'know, whatever. She can change! Sandra is unsatisfied with this and is demanding that her son be moved and that the school foot the bill for his regular transportation to another school. She thinks the issue is being taken less seriously because of the gender of all the protagonists. "If it was a man teacher doing it to a female student, they would have taken this totally serious. But because it's the other way around I think they're letting the light side go on it. And I just want him out of the environment." The process for moving her son could take up to a month. Meanwhile, grading has probably gone back to a letter system in Juzdowski's classroom. She's still handing out huge D's, though.  If the sounds of someone slurping or chewing make you want to rip off your own skin, you may be one of the 20% of people who have a condition called misophonia, or in regular-people words, a heightened sensitivity to certain noises. While this condition may ruin your destination wedding at the soup factory, a new study provides you with something to brag about. (Besides your weirdo soup wedding.) Researchers from Northwestern University found that those who are hypersensitive to certain sounds tend to be more creative than people who aren't. So, the more rage you feel at your coworker's bubble gum, the more of a genius you probably are. Why are you even still working there? Creative geniuses have it rough, which is why they often end up going mental I'm looking at you, Van Gogh.  Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett was arrested for operating a vehicle while intoxicated early Saturday morning near campus. He has been suspended for a whopping one game by the team. One game. That'll teach him! Also, the charge in Ohio is called an OVI, which sounds like a new type of software or STD, but is the (almost) acronym for operating a vehicle under the influence. And OVI is shorter and simpler than OAVUTI. Barrett, who at 20 is underage, was arrested after he tried to dodge an OVI checkpoint near the campus. He failed a breathalyzer test and was released to his fellow Buckeye teammate and quarterback Cardale Jones. Here's the best part...  Barrett recently took the starting quarterback position from Jones. How's that for an awkward phone call from jail? Thankfully no one was hurt or killed as a result of this incident, and apparently checkpoints work pretty well.  An African American man who says he was asked to pay for his meal before dining at a Washington state restaurant has filed a $100,000 discrimination suit against the chain. Brian Eason is a real estate agent who also serves as a deputy with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in nearby Orgeon. He went to the Vancouver location of Elmer’s and was asked to prepay for his meal. Eason thought it was odd and asked his waitress about the policy. To her credit, the waitress was not a fan of the policy, and explicitly told him it was likely discrimination. Eason was bothered by the incident, but didn't realize how serious it was until he returned to the restaurant 30 minutes later. He then asked white customers if they had been requested to prepay, and they had not. Jill Ramos, Elmer's director of restaurant support, released a statement on behalf of the chain. "At Elmer's, we are proud to provide a welcoming guest experience to everyone in the communities we serve. We are disappointed to hear about the complaint which occurred at one of our franchise-operated restaurants." The use of the phrase "franchise-operated" is no accident. That's public relations language for "we had no way of knowing one of our franchisees might have racist operations policies." Unless they can prove they also made some white customers prepay, it seems like they're going to be $100,000 in the red on this one. One of these days, restaurants must learn that dumb policies and being mean to customers always gets them in trouble. I have never heard of Elmer's, so I looked it up and fund this picture...


That's Hulk Hogan if you couldn't tell.  Susannah Mushatt Jones was officially declared the oldest person in the world earlier this year, winning a difficult competition that depends on staying alive while other people die. She's six years away from beating the world record previously set by Jeanne Calment, who died at the age of 122 years and 164 days. At the tender age of 116, Mushatt Jones lives a good life in Brooklyn, with a positive attitude and comforting routine. Her day begins with eggs, grits, and four strips of bacon, which comes as a surprise after the World Health Organization's boner killer about bacon last week. The WHO (who?) announced the devastating news that bacon and other delicious processed meats cause cancer, but perhaps Mushatt Jones has a special immunity. Still kicking it at 116, she understands that bacon is one of the only things worth living more than a century for.  So, a Phile reader went to the store the other day apparently right after Jesus did.


Ha.  You know, no matter how hard you try, you will never be as cool as this guy...


He's a geek-bum.  I saw this ad and I was like, is that Beyonce?


Then I thought, what kinda ad is this? I'm confused.  If there's one thing you might not know about me, is I am not  a rule breaker. I try and play by the rules and follow signs and such. That's why someone like this pisses me off...


It says do not step past this sign! What is she doing?! Sheesh. Alright, I'll chill. Now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is...


Top Phive Reasons For Ben Carson's Surge In The Polls
5. His brand of loose-lipped crap-spouting is much more appealing than Donald Trump's brand of loose-lipped crap-sprouting.
4. Iowa voters just naturally identify with an African-American brain surgeon from Detroit.
3. It's tough to compete with his new slogan: "Vote for me, and your brain surgery is free!"
2. Iowa Republicans have joined together in what will go down as the greatest prank in the history of politics.
And the number one resin Carson's surge in the polls is...
1. Iowa primary voters want to continue their proud streak of picking a losing candidate.




Haha. If you spot today's Mindphuck let me know. Okay, so, like I said last week Logan is visiting from Pennsylvania and we were talking about how we used to watch "Sesame Street" together when he was little. We tried to watch it again, and noticed thongs were a little different. So, here once again is a pheature I call...


Grover and Jerry have a great time cyber-bullying Jerry's classmate.


Haha. That's so stupid. Well, as you know I live in Florida and there's some strange things that happen in Florida that happen no where else in the Universe. That's why I started a pheature called...




In Winter Haven, Florida, police reported to the scene of a "horrific crash" involving a classic sports car and a seemingly indestructible tree. Twenty year old Carlos Pino was driving his silver 1986 Nissan 300ZX when he lost control while maneuvering through a turn. His wheels began to skid on the wet roadway, and the car ended up flying off the road and striking a tree by the driver's side front wheel. The impact was strong enough... and hit at precisely the right spot... to split the 29 year old sports car clean in two. Pino was airlifted to Lakeland Regional Health with non-life-threatening injuries. It's a good thing he was wearing his seatbelt at the time, because evidently that's the most durable part of a 1986 Nissan 300ZX. The Winter Haven Police Department posted this photo along with several more nightmarish images, to its Facebook page.


It's part of their effort to educate the public about the dangers of driving while under the influence of being bad at driving.What lesson is there to be learned from this story? Is it that young people shouldn't drive cars 9 years older than they are? Or that wet roadways are a threat to us all? Or that seatbelts really do save lives? Or is it that life is random and death awaits us around every corner? Yes, it's that one. You know, that story could of happened anywhere. Oh, well. Moving on...



Al Molinaro 
June 24th, 1919 — October 29th, 2015
Sunday, Monday... happy days! Tuesday, Wednesday... happy days! Thursday... well, not so much.



World Series
The World Series is a best-of-seven tournament between the greatest baseball teams in the entire world of the continental United States and one city in Canada.



The 40th book to be pheatured in the Phile's Book Club is...


The author, Gary Gerani, will be a guest on the Phile tomorrow. It'll be a good one. Okay, so, a good friend of the Phile has something to say about the cop beating the student in South Carolina. He's a singer, patriot and renaissance man. You know what time it is...


Happy Sunday, phuckerz. While we can all agree that there are disturbing aspects of the video of the South Carolina student being dragged from her classroom by a Sheriff's Deputy for "refusing" to get off her cell phone... I am more concerned with the fact that this spoiled, arrogant, entitled fucking brat couldn't simply just STOP TALKING ON HER CELL PHONE!!! Listen, you little bitch... You're in school, rules state that you can't be on your phone during class. Do what you're told, you rotten little bastard. I went through 8 years of Catholic school in New York during the late '60s through mid '70s... and if I even THOUGHT of refusing to obey what the nuns told me to do... I would have deserved (and gotten) a furious beating... and then a second smack in the face for embarrassing my parents in front of Sister Regina Marie Eichman. You spoiled little twats should focus more on getting a good education and less on your fucking phones. You're NOT special... You're NOT above the rules... You're there to learn, NOT to talk with whatever guy you're fucking during lunch... You live in a world where you will be required to follow rules at some point in your life... GET USED TO IT!!!! Just sayin'. Let's go Mets.


Today's pheatured guests are the two that make up the duo Late Nite Cable whose four singles are available on iTunes. Please welcome to the Phile Pete Roessler and Severine Casati from... Late Nite Cable.


Me: Hello, you two, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Pete: Fine, thanks!!

Me: You two are based in New York, am I right? What part?

Severine: I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Pete: I live in Fairfield, CT for the time being. I moved back to my hometown in November of 2015 where I could to construct a project studio and to get some peace and quiet to write the album.

Me: Peter, you're originally from Connecticut, am I right? Ever take the ferry to Port Jefferson? Have you heard of Port Jefferson?

Pete: Absolutely! My mother and I used to take the ferry to Port Jeff for day trips when I was young and walk around town. It’s a beautiful town!

Me: Severine, you traveled around the world, is that true? Where did you travel to and why?

Severine: I traveled a lot in Central America, Canada, Europe and in the U.S... Needed to travel and discover the world which is my second real passion after music. If I could combine both, I’d be over the moon…!

Me: Pete, did you travel?

Pete: I traveled all around Europe (11 countries in Eastern and Western Europe) after graduation from undergrad and I also took some time out in Jakarta and Bali, Indonesia with my ex-girlfriend and her family. I also lived in Costa Rica for four months and Argentina for a few years for work and school.

Me: You also went to Berklee like half the musicians I have intervieed. What did you study there?

Pete: I indeed went to Berklee. My principal instrument was guitar but I took a bunch of classes in vocals and piano as well. My major was Music Business/Management.

Me: Is Berklee where you two met?

Pete: No actually. Severine attended a conservatory in Paris. I met Severine at a holiday party in NYC about 4 years ago.

Me: Severine, I love your name. You're from France, am I right? Were you born there?

Severine: Thank you! Yes, I’m from France, from a suburb near Versailles and Paris. I was actually born in the U.S. My parents are both French but my father was working as an expatriate for 6 years in New Jersey.

Me: Where did you grow up?

Severine: We moved back when I was 5 so I grew up in this suburb near Versailles called Noisy-le-Roi, with my 2 sisters and 2 brothers. I am the middle child, not always easy, but interesting for sure…

Me: I'm British, and I have to say... and this is a compliment... you are the best looking French woman I have ever seen. I love this picture of you...


Me: Anyway, how did you and Peter meet?

Severine: That is really nice of you but maybe you haven’t met a lot of French women so far. Haha. I met Pete at a party 4 years ago in New York… We started to talk about music and that is when he promised me to call me whenever he would start his music project to become his singer. And 3 years later, he kept his promise!

Me: Peter, I have to hand it to you, good job on picking her. How did you approach her to join Late Nite Cable?

Pete: Although so much development has been done on this project, it feels like I approached her about the project yesterday so I remember it well! I was getting ready to resign from my day job to pursue writing music full time in October of 2014. I have always loved how male and female vocals sound together being a huge fan of bands like Fleetwood Mac so I took some time to think long and hard about who I could find to join as the female lead which is when I remembered meeting Severine at the party. At first, I actually didn’t remember Severine’s name (don’t be pissed Severine)! Haha. So it took some time to scour through my Facebook inbox for the initial message I sent her 3 years ago saying that it was nice to meet her. When I found her, I started to look her up on Google to see if there were any videos of her singing. Luckily, there were so that gave me a good idea of how she would sound. I thought she had a really pretty voice and I could tell she was clearly a mezzosoprano so I thought it would blend well with my voice. So, I sent a message asking her if she would like to start a music project. A week or two later, we met up and I showed her what I had been working on. A couple of weeks after that, we were recording and the rest is history!

Me: So, I take it you named the band, Peter, am I right?

Pete: My manager, Severine and I all agreed upon the name after a TON of brainstorming. Both drunk and sober brainstorming.

Me: Where did the band name come from?

Pete: Great question. My middle name is actually Cable named after my great grandfather who was George W. Cable... a famous New Orleans author and best friend and collaborator of Mark Twain. I have always felt a deep connection with some of my ancestors who had the creative gene... mostly because there aren’t many of them. However, my namesake is someone who I have always admired. Also, being that I am kind of a night owl not just while doing work but when I am out in social situations, “late night” seemed like the best phrase to go with Cable.

Me: I was thinking of late night talk show hosts when I first heard the name, but that's not what you are referring to, I guess.

Pete: Nope... not at all! But it’s a great coincidence and I’m sure there is room for further creative branding due to this play on words.

Me: So, do you two have the same influences in music?

Severine: My influences are very diversified… I grew up listening to jazz, pop-rock, folk, soul, reggae, bluegrass, rap, etc. My biggest influences are Portishead, The Cranberries, Louis Armstrong, Muse, Radiohead, Jeff Buckely, Sting, Dido, Sixto Rodriguez, Nina Simone, among others.

Pete: I am actually pretty all over the place as well. I grew up listening to classic rock with such bands as Fleetwood Mac and the Allman Brothers; 80s pop with artists such as Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, Tears for Fears and Duran Duran; and 90s rock and grunge rock such as with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana. Since the new century, I have really listened to everything from jam rock, bluegrass (I even used to play bluegrass as well) and then pop and electronic music (synthpop, EDM, house, etc.) in recent years. The music I write really does borrow many elements from all of these influences and more.

Me: Pete, you play a lot of different instruments. What came first?

Pete: While I was exposed to music at a very early age being given a play drum set at a very early age and being taught a bit about drums and guitar from my older cousins, I started off playing viola in my elementary school orchestra and then upright bass. That lead me to guitar and electric bass when I was roughly 9 or 10. I also bought a real drum set a couple of years later and alternated on all three instruments at that point in a couple of bands that I was in with school friends. Throughout high school I focused on guitar and throughout the first two years of college, I focused on guitar and mandolin. Throughout the last two years of college, I focused on learning the piano, which quickly became my true love and it has been ever since. While I will always enjoy guitar, the keyboard is my main tool for songwriting these days and my overall instrument of choice.

Me: Severine, do you play any instruments?

Severine: Yes I play the piano and the guitar a little. I took piano lessons for 12 years in a Conservatory of Music when I was younger.

Pete: Severine is being modest. She can absolutely tear apart classical piano. I had no idea she even played piano until one day when we were in the recording studio with our producer in Brooklyn. I was walking out near the doors to the live room to get a coffee when I hear someone ripping the piano to shreds. I thought to myself, “who the hell is THAT!” And, low and behold, it was Severine. I spent the next hour upset that she hadn’t told me that we had another keyboardist in the band!

Me: Which out of you two does the songwriting?

Pete: I do the songwriting with regard to the music and we all collaborate with the lyrics which is what I prefer. I enjoy really diving deep in making the music as chiseled as possible; however, I think that having three minds to tell stories that are not just mine, gives our songs many different perspectives which I love. While I do have a ton of stories to tell and I am used to writing a lot of lyrics for my past projects, I really thought it would be a great idea to give everyone the chance to tell their own stories as well.

Me: You have four singles out on iTunes right now. Are you gonna continue to release the music as singles, or are you planning on releasing a CD or EP?

Pete: We decided to release 4 as singles just for the first album as we wanted to kind of scatter them around to allow people to focus on each individual single for a few weeks at a time and then receive 3 additional songs when the album is released. While we had the pleasure of releasing the 6-song album on Soundcloud for free, we will be adding a bonus track to the album for those who choose to purchase the album from online retailers such as iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Me: Do you two do many shows together?

Pete: While we will be putting together a full tour schedule soon, we are still raising money for the equipment that we will need to make this dream a reality. Hopefully we will start playing by the end of November.

Me: What has been the highlight of working together so far?

Pete: I guess finding a solid process. We really have adopted some solid rituals that have to do with writing music that include drinking wine and staying up all night and carving apart songs. We have created a pretty smooth process to make sure that each song comes out of our “music factory” up to the market’s rough standards as well as our own.

Me: Will you be making any videos?

Pete: We already have! We shot the music video for “All Nite Girl” about a month ago, so we are in the midst of editing the video to make sure it is perfect before release in mid-November. We will most likely also do a video for “Hideaway” and a couple of other singles coming out before the New Year as well.

Me: So, what's next for you two? You are gonna continue to work together, right?

Pete: Of course, we have a ton to do in the 6 months to gain some solid exposure so for the next 6 months, we will be spending a great deal of effort rehearsing for live shows, promoting our album, designing merch and working with third parties to spread the word further.

Me: Go ahead and mention your website and continued success. Please come back on the Phile. Take care.

Pete: Thanks!!! Latenitecable.com.





That about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to Laird Jim and Pete and Severine from Late Nite Cable. The Phile will be back tomorrow with author Gary Gerani. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.
































Not if it pleases me. No, you can't stop me, not if it pleases me. - Graham Parker

No comments:

Followers