Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pheaturing Daniel Dennis From A Mediocre Time With Tom And Dan


Hey there, welcome to the Phile, thanks for being here. It seems like ages since the last entry, doesn't it? I am your host, Jason Peverett, star of the new movie Time Traveling Gangsters.  A lot has happened in the last week or so, so let's get into it.  Do you all have the flu? I'm telling you, it's bad. Earlier today, I heard Lance Armstrong admit to using Tamiflu. This flu epidemic is just terrible. Experts say that those hit hardest are the very old and the very young. So that's especially bad news for Hugh Hefner and his new bride.  Flu season is here. There's always a group of people who are too paranoid to get a flu shot, even though about half of them have between one and 80 tattoos. What these people are saying is, "I do not trust the doctors to tell me the flu shot is safe and effective, but I do trust the guy with a nose ring to inject me repeatedly with ink." By the way, I just described myself.  Who watched The Golden Globes? I didn't. Daniel Day-Lewis won a Golden Globe for playing Abraham Lincoln and Julianne Moore won for playing Sarah Palin. The foreign press realized that the greatest challenge for an actor in Hollywood is pretending to be a Republican. It's the one night of the year that Hollywood takes a break from congratulating itself to let foreigners congratulate them. Everyone was talking about how cold it was on the Golden Globes red carpet. The temperature was in the low 50s. In fact, it was so cold, Ryan Seacrest had to get his hair defrosted.  A Florida couple got into a fight resulting in the woman biting off half her boyfriend's ear. No, it wasn't my wife and I. She said her biggest complaint is that he never listens.  President Obama held the final press conference of his first term in office the other morning, talking mostly about the debt ceiling. He announced if Congress doesn't raise the debt ceiling America will go into default on its loans and we might have to say goodbye to Florida. An economist is suggesting that the U.S. Treasury mint a trillion-dollar county and deposit it in the federal reserve... which is how The Lord of the Rings starts, isn't it? The Treasury will not mint a trillion-dollar coin. That is a shame. Wouldn't it be nice to mint up nine or 10 and say we're even?  Hey, music fans, Black Sabbath is reuniting with Ozzy Osbourne for their first album together in 35 years. You can tell they're getting up there because now all Ozzy can do is gum at a bat's head for 30 seconds until it flies away.  Congrats to 23-year-old Mallory Hagan from Brooklyn, who won the Miss America pageant on Saturday. You could tell that she is from Brooklyn because instead of saying she wanted world peace, she was like, "War? Forget about it."  Republicans and Democrats are working on a new bill to streamline the healthcare system. It will reduce the cost of mammograms and prostate exams. But don't worry. They'll still be free at the airport.  President Obama said this week that he wants to find a "pathway for citizenship" for immigrants in the United States. Don't we have that? It's called the Rio Grande river.  Thousands of dead fish have now washed up on shore along the coast of South Carolina. Today the NRA said that this wouldn't have happened if those fish had guns. By the way, South Carolina, that is payback for my accident back in October. Stupid South Carolina...   Ann Romney, the wife of Mitt Romney, has reportedly turned down a chance to appear on “Dancing With the Stars.” Apparently, she has something called "self-respect."  It seems a doctor in Germany is being sued by the family of a patient who died after 16 items were left inside of him after the surgery. The doctor said he felt terrible. He tried to call the family but couldn't find his cell phone.  Last weekend, during a routine cleanup, park crews discovered a cannon from the Revolutionary War that was still loaded. Old, loaded, and ready to go... it's like me every morning. They said the cannon was deadly, dangerous, and could blow up just like that. But don't worry. New York City police did what they could. They put out one of those orange cones.  Who watched the season premiere of "American Idol" this week? This is the third season without Simon Cowell. People thought the show wouldn't survive without him. And those people are called Simon Cowell. I think each new judge will bring something unique to the show. Mariah Carey: wisdom. Nicki Minaj: sass. And Keith Urban will bring stubble. Keith Urban... who's Australian! Are we really going to let an Australian pick our American Idol? Doesn't sound very American to me. Steven Tyler added a little extra something to "American Idol." He'd zero in on the female contestants. He'd stare at them like a hungry cheetah stalking a gazelle, and I miss that.  A week after saying, “I’m not leaving Oregon for the NFL,” Chip Kelly has agreed to be the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. Even Lance Armstrong was like, “Pick a story and stick with it.” By the way, Lance Armstrong is gonna be running a new race... Tour de Fraud. That man lost everything, a ball, his bronze Olympic medal, all the stuff he won for winning that French bike race. But... he is mentioned in Strawberry Blondes Forever song "Bicycle of Oppression". By the way, you should all go to iTunes and buy my bands new single.  So, on Tuesday I went back to work after being off since October because of my injury. And when I got there, I was thinking, they really let this place go.


That's so stupid, that picture is like 25 years old.  So, who saw Honda's new ad? I think they might get into some kind of trouble over it. Check it out.


I thought it was very clever.  So, I just mentioned "American Idol", which I have to say is one show I do like. Anyway, I didn't know much about the new judge Nikki Minaj, but I was thinking I have seen her before. If you don't know who she is, kids, here's a picture of her.


So, one thing I like doing is going on Twitter and doing searches on different words to see what people are saying. One of those words I type in is Foghat, and I never know what I am going to find.


Yeah, you tell them, William.  So, you all know I love Kelly Clarkson and want to interview her here on the Phile, so I am running a campaign. Spread the word, people, post this on her Twitter page.


Okay, let's see who croaked, and it's been quite a few this week.




Stan Musial
Nov 21, 1920 - Jan 19, 2013
Yes, he was a 24 time all-star selection, compiled 3630 hits, and is widely considered the best left fielder of all time, and is in the Hall of Fame. But for MY money, the fact that he played the harmonica on "Hee Haw" in 1994 AND made an album of harmonica songs? THAT is what makes someone famous.

Earl Weaver
Aug 14, 1930 - Jan 19, 2013
Ejected.

Dear Abby
July 4, 1918 - Jan 16, 2013
Dear Abby, I think my husband is cheating on me. I keep finding little clues around the house... hotel keys, receipts for restaurants we've never been to, that sort of thing. I feel guilty even thinking it, but I have to know. Should I approach him and just ask? Or should I spy on him to find out? -- BETRAYED IN BALTIMORE Dear Betrayed, I'm dead.

Conrad Bain
Feb 4, 1923 - Jan 14, 2013
Todd Bridges is the one from "Diff'rent Strokes" who lived the longest? Crazy.





Okay, this past week everyone is talking gun control, especially those kids in the White House, so I thought I'd invite someone to the Phile to help explain what is going on. So, please welcome to the Phile once again, Jim Messina.


Me: Hello, Jim, welcome back to the Phile. So, the other day President Obama announced his plan to protect our children and our communities by helping reduce gun violence. I missed it as I was working. What did he say, Jim?

Jim: He said we won't stop every violent act like the one in Newtown, Connecticut. But if we can save the life of even one child, the President believes each of us has a responsibility to take action.

Me: A lot of people spoke out and demanded it, right?

Jim: Yes, their input, along with ideas from leaders and policy makers across the political spectrum, went into the President's plan.

Me: Most gun owners use their guns safely and responsibly, Jim. What about those people? What does the president think about that?

Jim: The President believes firmly in protecting our Second Amendment rights. But common-sense changes can go a long way in keeping our streets and our schools safer... and there's too much at stake to stand by and wait for action.

Me: So, what is the President's plan, Jim?

Jim: He signed 23 executive actions to start moving our country in the right direction. And he's calling on Congress to act on four legislative measures... closing background check loopholes, banning military-style assault weapons, making our schools safer, and increasing access to mental health services... right away.

Me: Well, keep us posted and good luck. And enjoy the inauguration tomorrow. Take care, Jim.

Jim: Thanks, Jason.


Well, it's the last week for football picks before the Super Bowl, kids. Please welcome back to the Phile, my good friend Jeff Trelewicz for the pheature I call...


Me: Welcome back to the Phile, Jeff. How are you?

Jeff: Always great to be back on the Phile.

Me: What's the news in the NFL this week?

Jeff: The biggest news is the search for head coaches in the NFL is slowly coming to an end. Most of the teams that fired their head coaches on "Black Monday" have filled their vacancies. Buffalo, Philadelphia, Chicago, Kansas City and Arizona have new head coaches. There may be other teams, I just can't think about them off the top of my head. The other big news is the unpredictability of the playoffs. Most people figured the Packers would find their way to the NFC Championship game but San Francisco had other plans.

Me: Alright, so, I was winning by two, so how did we do last week?

Jeff: I hate to point this out, but I was winning by two points, not the other way around like you thought.

Me: Oh, yeah. HA! Okay, so, did I catch up?

Jeff: I went 1-1 last week and you unfortunately went 0-2 so I extend my lead to five points with just three games to go. But it is still not over. I think both games will be close.

Me: God, I hope so. I say Atlanta by three and New England by 10. What do you say?

Jeff: I say New England by three points over Baltimore and 49ers by three points over the Falcons.

Me: Interesting. Alright, Jeff, I'll see you soon here.

Jeff: See you for the Super Bowl!

Me: Thanks, Jeff, as always.




The 22nd book to be pheatured in the Phile's Book Club is...


Lynnette Porter, the author and Phile Alum will be the guest on the Phile tomorrow. The book meanwhile is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.




This is so cool... today's pheatured guest was for over 15 years was the main character talent on The Monsters in the Morning is a talk radio show on XM Radio Channel 165 and via the Iheartradio. He could be heard now on the popular podcast A Medicocre Time With Tom and Dan. Please welcome to the Phile, my friend and one talented guy... Daniel Dennis!


Me: Daniel, welcome to the Peverett Phile, man! I have been wanting to interview you for a long time... five years actually since I started interviewing people on the Phile. How are you?

Daniel: Not bad man. About to try out a new pressure cooker that my ma got me for Christmas. I guess as you get older these are the type of old, bullshit gifts that you get excited about. Haha…

Me: Do you want me to call you Dan or Daniel? What do you prefer?

Daniel: Either is fine. I'm not picky at all.

Me: We have met a few times over the years at concerts and at Disney, and Monster events. I'll get you on Star Tours anytime, Daniel. Do you go to Disney often?

Daniel: I do. The wife loves it and I think everything that they do is full on first class. Just went to the reopening of Test Track and I walk outside and there's One Republic playing for us... like 40 people maybe and unlimited drinks. And don't get me started about the dragon that they spent all that money on to fly over New Fantasyland… Yeah. It's safe to say that I'm a fan.

Me: You've seen more of Disney then I have recently and I bloody work there. Daniel, you're originally from Central Florida, right? What part? 

Daniel: DeLand, Florida. It's about 40 miles from Orlando.

Me: Have you ever thought of moving to another state?

Daniel: There was a time when I was going to move to LA to produce radio for a midday show that I was working for but I decided to stay in town because I had friends, a band that I was playing in, and was still in school. I eventually dropped out… haha.

Me: I first heard you on the radio when you were an intern on Real Radio before you were on the Monsters. Did you always want to be on the radio?

Daniel: I did. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be in radio. I loved to make my own mix tapes complete with weather and all kinds of little news reports and shit in them. I was a real radio dork.

Me: I did as well, wanted to be on radio, but my voice is unbearable, so I chose this blog thing instead. Did you go to Broadcasting school?

Daniel: I went to Flagler College in St. Augustine for 2 years and then transferred to UCF. Yes… my original degree was going to be a double in Communications and English. Like I stated before I dropped out as my job with Real Radio got more and more intensive.

Me: You have created over a 100 different characters for the Monsters In the Morning radio show. How do you come up with them and which one if your favorite?

Daniel: Shit. That's a really good question. I don't think that I've ever had a favorite and most of them are just spur of the moment and throw away, you know? I don't like to linger on much for too long because if I'm bored of something you're certainly going to hear it and if I don't like it… what would make you like it, as in the audience? Buddy was the one that people seem to like the most but I got sick of that pretty fast. I even put out and sold over 5000 Buddy CDs. I guess it has it's place but I like most of them equally. It's just fun.

Me: Okay, I have to tell you, in full disclosure, you are not the first member of that radio show to be on the Phile as I am a big fan... or were. We'll talk about that in a minute. I interviewed Jeff Howell about his band The Poker Dogs, Burt Wilson about his solo album, Tiffany Martin about her band and her EP and even Savannah about a charity she is part of. I tried to interview Russ Rollins, the creator of the Monsters, especially when his book came out a few years ago but never heard back from him. Are you surprised?

Daniel: Not really.

Me: Did you read his book "Monster Trash"?

Daniel: Only my chapter.

Me: Do you still keep in touch with any of those folks?

Daniel: Most everyone, yes. I love those guys. Jimmy and Drunky are two of my closest friends and I expect always will be. They're really, really good folks.

Me: We have to talk about something, but I'll keep it brief as you're probably sick of talking about it... a few months ago you left the Monsters show after being on there for over 15 years, and when you left Facebook and Twitter imploded. Were you surprised by your fans reactions and outpouring?

Daniel: I was. It was HUGE. They were pissed but it was just something that I needed to do. There are times in life when you need to step back and ask yourself if you're being true to yourself. How are you being treated? Are you proud of what you're doing? I wasn't anymore so it was time to move on.

Me: If I stopped doing the Phile I don't think many people would care even though I have a lot of readers. Do you know how well liked you are and were on that show? You did pretty much all the comedy for it, Dan.

Daniel: Wow. That's a bold and completely "make me blush" type of comment. Thank you. I loved doing it. I LOVE to laugh and more than anything I love hearing that I made a listener laugh. That's the best part… when you're told that you really made a person's day. Knowing that something that I created made them happy. That's huge. Huge.

Me: Shit, if I had a TV show I would hire you in a second to be my comedy writer, Dan. Have you gotten any offers for anything like that?

Daniel: I've done commercials and music videos here and there. I don't really have a real or anything so I don't think I'm working for it so not very many.

Me: Dan, tell the readers briefly how and why you left the show.

Daniel: It was an integrity thing. Like I said before, there are times when you need to stand your ground and make a good decision to get yourself out of a toxic situation. I was in that and I needed to get out of it and make myself un-sick. I think people can understand what I'm trying to say there.

Me: Yes, I totally understand. That's similar to why I left Epcot after 23 years. You are also a talented songwriter and musician, Daniel. I always loved the song "Serial Lover". Is there an inspiration behind that song?

Daniel: I just wanted to see if I could write a silly country song. I was bored in German class at UCF. 

Me: You still write and record music for your new show, right?

Daniel: I do. But it's at my own pace. I like that so much better than trying to shit out a song for the radio. That was a major frustration for me. You always have to crap things out so f'n fast. You really never get the chance to put the fit and finish on songs and stuff. I understand that that's all part of it…but yeah… I like taking my time a lot better.

Me: I downloaded the song "So Tired, So Horny (Rent A Pony)". What was the inspiration for that song?

Daniel: Jerking off a lot and making fun of how guys are either always tired or horny. Silly shit.

Me: Okay, let's talk about your very popular and very funny podcast A Mediocre Time With Tom and Dan". First of, how did Tom get his name listed first?

Daniel: Alliteration. It reads better than A Mediocre Time with Dan and Tom. Try it. Tom and Dan is far better. Plus neither of us are ego maniacs and need our names first or before the other. We're friends that just want to make people laugh.

Me: For the Phile readers that don't know, tell them who is Tom Vann and where did you two meet? 

Daniel: Tom is the Drunky the Bear that you might hear on a local radio station. We met because he was my intern and we've had a friendship ever since.

Me: I have a picture of you both doing the podcast.


Me: Where did the name of the podcast originate from and who came up with the idea to do it?

Daniel: We both did. It started from the conversations that we'd have at our day jobs. Just sitting around and bullshitting. Those were some of the most funny bits that we'd ever come up with. Then we thought one day… "Wow… we should be recording this. This is great stuff. I think people would dig this."

Me: You've been doing it for four years now, right?

Daniel: Yes, sir. We started in 09 so in March we will celebrate our 4 year anniversary.

Me: Do you guys go in knowing what you are going to talk about, or do you just wing it?

Daniel: It's a little of both but we do our best to not let it be anything like radio. No bits. No skits. Just two guys that want to chat and make each other cry laugh.

Me: And you have guests on it like Josh Radin. Is that something you've done for awhile, have guests?

Daniel: If it's natural, yes. We've had quite a few but it's certainly not something that we lean on. The show is me and Tom. We lean on each other the most.

Me: Maybe I can be a guest one day, Dan. LOL. Seriously. Anyway, it's not just you two anymore but you have a guy named Ross. When I first heard his name, I thought it was Russ and I was like oh shit. Where did Ross come from?

Daniel: Ross was on another very popular podcast called SomaCow. We actually got a lot of advice from those guys when we were starting A Mediocre Time. They're great people but then stopped doing their show about 2 years ago. It was a shame because it was a wonderful show.

Me: And would you ever invite Russ from the Monsters on the show?

Daniel: Not likely.

Me: I was surprised you guys have a shit load of merchandise you sell for the show. I have been talking about for years selling Phile merch. Who does the designing for you and does the merchandise sell well?

Daniel: We have a agency that we've been working with for about 2 years as well. They're called The Danger Brain and they are amazing. Two of the best in the game and we're probably their smallest and most insignificant client but they treat us like we're one of the big boys. They really stepped up our look. We can't thank them enough for doing that.

Me: Daniel, apart from AMT, you also are going back to college, am I right? What are you studying? 

Daniel: I'm finally finishing with an Interdiciplinarian Degree. Fancy, huh?

Me: Yeah. With being on the Monsters, Real Radio, and working for Clear Channel, did you learn anything that you use for AMT?

Daniel: I did indeed. I made great friends and I think I really discovered who I really am. Wouldn't trade my time therefor anything in the world. Clear Channel always treated me well and on the way out we didn't see eye to eye on my contract but that's cool. It's business… no hard feelings.

Me: I once thought about making the Phile into the podcast, but don't have the patience or the time. A blog is so much easier. Anyway, do your own studio, or do you do it from home?

Daniel: We have our own studio. It's actually the complete bottom floor of my house. You'd never know that I live above it. It works out great. I do work a bit much now because I have it but I guess that's part of the curse of not being able to leave your work at the office.

Me: If readers of the Phile wanna start their own, tell them what equipment do you use, Daniel.

Daniel: iMac, MacBook Pro, Sony Viao, Yahama mixing console, and Rode NT1A mics. We also have a great deal of SM51's to take the show of the road and for guests. There's a lot more but that's sort of a nice overview for you.

Me: There's a name for AMT fans, and that is scumbags. Where did that name come from?

Daniel: We're not sure. I think it's because we get into some pretty nasty conversations. Scummy…

Me: And what does snoots mean? You use it often on the show, and website.

Daniel: That's a really long story but it came from an article about people eating rat snouts. Look it up in our archives and that should explain it to you. I'm getting tired and horny. Kidding.

Me: Dan, where can people listen and download the show? It's on iTunes and you have your own website, right?

Daniel: iTunes works and you can also get most everything from TomandDan.com. We also have a new Tuesday show that you can subscribe to. It's fun.

Me: Who drew the logo and pictures of you guys?

Daniel: The Danger Brain. Told you. They're amazing.

Me: Do you ever see the show becoming a TV show?

Daniel: I don't but we're open to anything.

Me: Daniel, before I let you go, this year I am asking my guests random questions thanks to a game called Tabletopics. So, here is your random question... If you got a tattoo what would you get and where would you put it? Fuck, you have an arm covered in tattoos. How many do you have altogether, Daniel?

Daniel: I guess I have 3… but my whole right arm is covered… a full sleeve.

Me: Alright, another question, would you rather be a great musician, artist or athlete?

Daniel: Artist. By far. I think that's what I am and I love it.

Me: Daniel, take care, tell Tom he needs to be on the Phile as well and please come back soon. You rock, Daniel. And keep up the good work. Daniel Dennis, everybody!




There you go, that about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to my guests Jim Messina, Jeff Trelewicz and of course Daniel Dennis. The Phile will be back tomorrow with author and Phile Alum Lynnette Porter. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!



No comments:

Followers