Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pheaturing Alex Cheatle

Hello, welcome to the Phile. How are you? Thanks for stopping by, everybody. Did you see the movie The Green Hornet? Don't get it confused with the other movie The Green Whore Net. Do you ever pay half attention to the news? You'd think someone like me who writes a weekly blog would pay attention to everything I hear, but sometimes I don't. I heard Ted Williams was homeless... but I thought he was headless. Then I found out it was a different Ted Williams. The one they were talking about on the news was a singing bum. Then I heard that Gifford was in a coma, and I thought it was Kathy Lee. Hugh Hefner is engaged to a 24-year-old playmate, and he’s in his 80s. It will be her first marriage and Hugh Hefner thinks it will be his first marriage too. Honestly, at Hugh Hefner’s age, she’s just there to blow on his soup. CBS announced that Charlie Sheen wasn’t on the set of “Two and a Half Men” because he had an ear infection. I get the feeling that CBS publicists just stopped trying. Economists are predicting the end of Europe’s currency, the Euro. Instead of the Euro, they may have to fall on their old stand-by, the Speedo. There used to be 13 signs of the Zodiac. The ancient Babylonians did away with the 13th sign because it crashed their computers or something. Piers Morgan’s show premiered on CNN, and his first guest was Oprah Winfrey. That lady came across as warm and inviting — and Oprah did OK too. Piers did a great job differentiating himself from Larry King. He didn’t wear suspenders and he stayed awake for the whole show. Apparently, Piers Morgan made a bet with Oprah on who would be the first to get Michael Vick on their show. That’s not so hard. Just lure him in with a trail of puppies. Hey kids, did you see me on TV the other day? I was on "The Rugrats". Take a look.

LOL. That is so lame. Are "The Rugrats" still on TV? Okay, I am a New York Giants fan, right, but when it came down to The Patriots and The Jets on Sunday, I had to cheer for the Jets. And at the end of the game, when the Patriots lost, all was revealed. Patriots fans... Tom Brady is gay! Check it out.


And now, for the sad news.

Sargent Shriver
November 9, 1915 - January 18, 2011
Peace, corpse.
Don Kirshner
April 17, 1934 - January 17, 2011
He's lost that livin' feeling.

Last week I was supposed to put up the review to Gulliver's Travels, and totally forgot. Even though the movie has been out for a few weeks now, here is the review...




Who's In It: Jack Black, Amanda Peet, Emily Blunt, Jason Segel, Billy Connolly, Catherine Tate, Chris O'Dowd
The Basics: When a storm overtakes Gulliver's boat and washes him ashore Liliput, a land of tiny little people, he's not only a physical giant among them, he also creates a mythic godlike status for himself by manufacturing a personal history based on stolen movie plots. In their eyes he's combination of Han Solo, Leo in Titanic and Sam Worthington in Avatar. But an evil General conspires to eliminate Gulliver and sets in motion a series of events to expose his lies, events that somehow results in Gulliver battling a Transformer. If you're six years old it will all make perfect sense.
What's The Deal: As terrible kid's movies go, this one is just run-of-the-mill terrible, meaning that it does exactly what its target audience wants it to do and offers nothing in the way of entertainment to anyone else. The hero's journey, the generic and dated-by-2011 pop culture references, the blatant gag-stealing from movies like Shrek, the shoehorning of a giant fighting robot into the last act--none of it is for people old enough to read this review. It's a product for undemanding children to consume, one they'll forget pretty quickly after leaving the theater.
Jack Black, Executive Producer Of This Movie, Wants To Sing. Therefore, He's Going To Sing: Remember when he was in Tenacious D and he sang goofy songs and it was funny? Remember when he was in High Fidelity and he sang and it was funny? Well, your kids don't. So it's important that they learn about Jack Black's singing ability. And you needed reminding too. Doesn't matter that it's a bit just dropped into the back end of the movie for no good reason or that it's effectively a desperate running-time stretch, a lazy nonsense way to cap a lazy nonsense movie. It's the privilege of the executive producer to make these kinds of decisions.
Featuring The Wasted Talents Of: A lot of cool British comic actors like Catherine Tate, Chris O'Dowd and Billy Connolly. Emily Blunt plays Liliput's princess and she's got not much to do either; neither does Amanda Peet. And then there's the usually really funny Jason Segel, who tries his best to fake a Brit accent and comes off sounding worse than Kevin Costner in Robin Hood.
3D Or Not 3D: If you're obligated to take some children, find a theater where it's not screening in 3D. Nothing pops off the screen like you want. It's a ticket-inflating move. Save your cash.
My Score: It gets a five.


This is the 13th book to be pheatured in the P.P.B.C. The author Lynnette Porter will be a guest on the Phile next week.

And now for...

Today's guest is an English singer-songwriter and producer. She became the youngest person ever to receive a Make It Break It Award in October 2009, winning the UK national songwriting competition The Make It Break It Awards. Please welcome to the Phile... Alex Cheatle.


Me: Hello, Alex, welcome to the Phile. So, how are you?

Alex: I’m very well thank you. How are you?

Me: You're from England... I didn't realize that. I was born in London, Alex. What part of England are you from?

Alex: London’s great fun. Lots of my friends live there so I go down quite a bit, but I am from the Midlands.

Me: The Midlands? I lived in Oxford for three years and went to school in Burford. Where in the Midlands do you live?

Alex: Oh right. I'm from a small village in Leicestershire called Cold Overton.

Me: You are very young, Alex, the youngest to win an award. How old are you?

Alex: Ha, yes, I’m only sixteen.

Me: How long have you been singing? Did you always want to be a singer?

Alex: Since I was very small; I used to pretend I was a popstar and put on little shows for my family. They loved it! I have always wanted to be a part of the music world; whether thats being a performer, a songwriter or a producer, It wouldn’t matter, I would be perfectly happy doing any of these.

Me: Your music is very poppish. Who are your influences and idols? I have been hearing a lot about this Cheryl Cole from the UK, but she hasn't come over here yet. Do you know who she is?

Alex: I’m glad you think so. I try to write catchy music which people will enjoy. My influences span from the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel and Joni Mitchell, to modern day LA it girl Sky Fereira. She’s only a couple of years older than me but shes an awesome songwriting talent, and I would kill for her wardrobe! Ah yes, Cheryl cole is an "X-Factor" judge and solo recording artist, but she is probably most well known for being a member of the British girl group Girls Aloud. She is also drop dead gorgeous - always in hair commercials. Britain is completely obsessed.

Me: You seem to be doing pretty well in the UK yourself, but do you have any plans on coming over to the States?

Alex: I would love to come to the States. My fans from the US keep telling me to! One day I will. Keep an eye out.

Me:
Have you been to America before?

Alex: Tragically no, I haven’t, but It has always been something I’ve wanted to do.

Me: I am a big fan of Robbie Williams, Alex, but not many people here in America seem to know who he is. What do you think of him?

Alex: Robbie is a music legend. He turned his live around after Take That’s split by writing the most amazing music. I couldn’t respect him more for proving to everyone who had written him off that they were wrong.

Me: If you could do a duet with him, would you? By the way, if you see him, tell him he has to be here on the Phile.

Alex: Definitely, It would be an honor. Haha, of course, next time I see him I’ll drop it into casual conversation, I promise.

Me: Alex, being so young, what do your parents and siblings think of your music and you being an up and coming pop star.

Alex: I keep my grades up in school so they are wonderfully supportive - they think its incredible I’ve done so well so young. My little sister is very cute; she knows all the words to my songs!

Me: Congrats on the Make It Or Break It Award. Tell the Phile readers what the award was, and did you win anything?

Alex: Thank you very much. It was a national music competition judged by EMI, hmv, XFM radio, and Coldplay’s frontman Chris Martin - who actually won it himself aged seventeen. I won an all expenses paid week at the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, played for a whole host of important people at the Make It Break It Award Ceremony, and recorded two of my songs at EMI this summer as part of the prize. It was the most amazing experience; I took so much from it.

Me: I read you did an acoustic show, Alex, do you like doing the stripped down set?

Alex: I enjoy a bit of both. Musically, Accoustic sets are a good thing to do because they show people my initial ideas on the piano or guitar, though having a band, stage and lighting effects, and a bit of sparkle is no bad thing either.

Me: You play guitar, is that right?

Alex: I do indeed. I taught myself.

Me:
Do you have a regular band that backs you up?

Alex: Not at the moment. Different bands back me up at each event, but hopefully if I get a bit bigger I will end up playing with the same group of people.

Me: You're gonna be playing the 02 Academy, right? You must be very nervous, Alex. How many people does that place hold?

Alex: Yes I am! I’ll admit it’s quite a daunting prospect due to prestige of the venue, but at the same time, I’ve never been more excited about a gig. I think it holds about 700 people.

Me: Let's talk about your music. Are you working on an album right now?

Alex: I’m working on the songs for my second album right now. They’ll be available to download online, so I’ll be sure to post links to the relevant pages on Myspace and Facebook.

Me: Your second album?! When did the first come out and what is it called?

Alex: It was called "Introducing Alex Cheatle" and it came out online last year. I'm really looking forward to the next album; so far its sounding more like the music I'm into. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Me: Do you write all your songs yourself?

Alex: I tend to do everything by myself, though collaborations can be a lot of fun too. I’ve been lucky enough to work with some very talented people, who have become very talented friends.

Me: If a Phile reader wants to check out your music, where should they go, Alex?

Alex: Myspace is a good place to start: www.myspace.com/alexcheatle. I also have a Last. FM music profile where you can download some of my songs for free: www.last.fm/music/Alex+Cheatle.

Me: Anyway, I wish you lots of luck, and expect to see big things coming your way soon. When you make it big, can you come back on the Phile?

Alex: Thank you. Fingers crossed! It would be a pleasure.

Me: Take care, and I wish you luck. Why don't you go ahead and plug your website before you go?

Alex: Haha, well since you asked, if anyone would like to become a fan of me on Facebook they can do it here: www.facebook.com/pages/Alex-Cheatle/164488919493.

Me: Thanks again, Alex. take care, okay?

Alex: No problem. Thank you for having me. You too.




There, that about does it for another week's entry of the Phile. Thanks to Alex Cheatle for a great interview. I hope we hear more of her soon. The Phile will be back next Wednesday with the Peverett Phile Book Club author Lynnette Porter. In the meantime check out The Entertainment Guru at entertainmentgurunews.blogspot.com. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.






1 comment:

Entertainment Guru News and Views said...

If Robbie Williams doesnt agree to an interview here, maybe I can get him on Entertainment Guru? No? Worth a shot. Thanks for the free shoutout. Ill post something on my next one to link to yours as well.

Followers