Sunday, March 13, 2016

Pheaturing David Newbould


Hey there, welcome to the Phile for a Sunday. Thanks for reminding me to change my clocks that change themselves. The first seven months of daylight saving time are the hardest. By the way, it's daylight saving time, NOT daylight savings time. Anyway, let's see what else is going on.
According to NBC News, a five person brawl broke out on a recent Spirit Airlines flight from Baltimore to L.A. after two inebriated women refused to turn down the music on their boom box. After fielding complaints from other passengers, the two women did what any reasonable adults would do and held the boom box in the air while saying, "What are you going to do?" A brief clip from the fight was posted to Instagram. Spirit Airlines spokesman Paul Berry said several people had asked the intoxicated women to lower the volume, to which the offenders responded by "holding up their boom box in the air, waving it around." This led to another group of frustrated travelers approaching the obnoxious passengers, which is when the fight began. A witness named Jazz Jolly told "Inside Edition" that the flight attendant who intervened got "hit, like, twice in the face." Officer Rob Pedregon of the LAX police labeled the dispute as a "mutual combat situation," a much fancier term than necessary for an immature ruckus. The "LA Times" confirmed that the FBI had looked into the incident and pressed no charges. Some people just can't handle drinking in a public setting, as further proved by the Instagram user who posted the clip of the scuffle.
The once star of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan" is under investigation for possible animal cruelty, reports The Wrap. L.A. County Animal Control told TMZ that they received angry calls from people who complained about an episode of Cesar's Nat Geo WILD TV show, "Cesar 911." The episode featured a dog allegedly "attacking and injuring a pig during a training session." In the segment, Millan wanted to see if a French bulldog named Simon, who had killed two of his owner’s pet pigs, could interact better with swine in a new habitat. According to The Huffington Post, "once the host (Millan) took Simon off his leash, however, the dog lunged at one of the pigs and bit off a chunk of its ear." According to NBC, animal control paid a visit to Millan's Dog Psychology Center in Santa Clarita on Thursday night, but he was nowhere to be found. They are giving Millan 24-hours to get in contact with investigators. This situation does not look good for the self-taught dog behaviorist, who has been widely celebrated for helping families with their aggressive pups. Between Cesar and the arrest of lovable "Pawn Stars" character Chumlee Russell on Wednesday, it's been a tough week for reality stars. Yep, I might as well tell you about that story as well. Austin "Chumlee" Russell has been arrested on "felony weapon and drug charges" following a search warrant carried out in a sexual assault investigation, according to "USA Today." The star, or character, or staff member, or reality show figure... depending on how much integrity you ascribe to the History Channel show... apparently had meth, pot, and "at least one gun" in his Las Vegas home. The police have yet to charge him in the sexual assault case, although TMZ reports he is still a suspect. Seems like a nice guy, huh? If you've never seen the show, it's too bad that you're learning who Chumlee is at the same time you're learning about his felonies.
Reese Witherspoon took to Instagram on Friday to break the sad news that the dog who played Bruiser Woods in 2001's Legally Blonde, real name Moonie, had passed away at the very respectable age of 18. As sad as the news is that he is no longer here, take solace in the fact that the rescue dog he had a longer career than most humans, and was personal friends with Gidget the Taco Bell dog. He also got to wear a lot of cute outfits. Before Witherspoon went online to honor him, the dog's trainer, Sue Chip, announced his passing on Instagram, remembering the last time the co-stars reunited, at Witherspoon's induction onto the Hollywood walk of fame. RIP to the only purse dog all of America could agree on.
Tyrone Williams and Chauntyll Allen were seated at Joe's Crab Shack in Roseville, MN, on Wednesday night when they noticed the photo on top of their table. It was an old photograph of a black man standing under a gallows, facing a large crowd in a town square. It was captioned "Hanging in Groesbeck, Texas on April 12, 1895." Here's the photo...


The speech bubble coming from the man about to be killed says "All I said was 'I didn't like the gumbo!'" Yikes. Allen, who is African American, was disturbed by the photo. Regrettably, she was there to have an early birthday celebration. "Seeing a picture of two black men being lynched was the last thing that I expected to see at what was supposed to be a family-friendly restaurant. As you can imagine, seeing that image ruined my appetite and my pre-birthday dinner. It is hard to believe that this type of racism is still going on in 2016." Hopefully they sent the team of waiters out clapping to sing the birthday song before they noticed the photo, otherwise things would have been even more weird. David Catalano, COO of Ignite Restaurant Group (Joe's Crab Shack parent company), issued the following statement, "We understand one of the photos used in our table décor at our Joe’s Crab Shack location in Roseville, MN was offensive. We take this matter very seriously, and the photo in question was immediately removed. We sincerely apologize to our guests who were disturbed by the image and we look forward to continuing to serve the Roseville community." Despite the unfortunate details in this picture, it is also baffling that any photo of a hanging or execution would be embedded onto a table top. Chain restaurants should stick with the classics: street signs, Christmas lights, and a moose head wearing a hat and sunglasses.
Not only can technology maybe help infertile couples make babies with artificial sperm, but it can also let fertile ex-couples know if one of them has a baby on the way. It wasn’t his intent, but one British man was shocked to find out that his ex-girlfriend was pregnant through a section in the Google Play store. The section “shows you what your friends are recommending, based on what they may have reviewed or +1’d,” Mashable reported. An Android user named Ben (last name not provided) told BBC Radio 4’s consumer affairs show, “I was downloading an app to my Android phone… and it basically showed me that my ex-girlfriend had rated a pregnancy app.” Ben added, “I don’t think she would have wanted anyone to have found out through that route. I think she would have preferred to have said it via an email of face to face,” he said. According to Mashable, “his ex emailed him some time after, confirming the news.” Learn from Ben’s mistake and immediately remove any ex-lovers from your Google Play community. There is no word on whether Ben is the ex-girlfriend's baby daddy.
A few weeks ago Facebook released some new reaction emoji's that you can use. I said before that they are being just a little bit too specific.



There's a new movie coming out that I am very excited about but did not know nothing about. This is gonna be so cool!


Hmmm. Avengers: Britain might only be out in England though. Ugh. Did you see Donald Trump's new campaign slogan? It's kinda honest.


So, at Disney... the greatest company to work for ever... there's some serious budget cuts happening. It's not unusual for them to do that as it happens every few years, but this year they are selling an inspirational poster about this in the parks which seems kind of odd.


Hey, that's my attraction! Hahaha. Speaking of Disney, they started work on the new Star Wars Land...


That must be the Alderaan part. Alright, so the last few weeks I have been showing you pictures showing why presidential candidates shouldn't pose with kids. Like this one...


"I'm just going to put this baby here." Speaking of candidates, I miss Jeb and his disappointing looks. Like the time he heard that "Low Winter Sun" had been canceled.


Ha. Okay, and now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is...


Top Phive Things Overheard At Peyton Manning's Retirement Announcement
5. Will you also be retiring from those asinine Nationwide commercials?
4. Is your drug dealer here? I'd love to meet him.
3. Did the fact that you've become as effective as an end table have anything to do with your decision?
2. Was there any temptation to go for a third Super Bowl win, and really shove it up Eli's ass?
And the number one thing overheard at Peyton's retirement announcement...
1. I'm sorry, could you repeat all that? I got lost in your massive forehead...




If you spot the Mindphuck let me know. So, my son is still in town visiting and we were talking about how we both see to watch "Sesame Street" together. Now it's on HBO things are a little bit different.



Kermit was sprayed in the face with semen again in the circle jerk. Everyone else around him laughed at his shock. Little did those fuckers know he had put laxatives in all of their snacks. Kermit would soon have the last laugh.



George Martin 
January 3rd, 1926 — March 8th, 2016
He was called "The Fifth Beatle" by a lot of people. Not by any of the actual Beatles, mind you. But who cares about that?



Peyton Manning
Peyton Manning is a former NFL quarterback.



Alright, today's guest is a fantastic musician whose album "Tennessee' is available on iTunes. He'll bd coming to with a new LP soon called "The Devil In His Name." Please welcome to the Phile... David Newbould.


Me: David, welcome to the Phile, sir. How are you?

David: I’m well, dude! Thanks for having me.

Me: Man, I love your music. You've been in the business for awhile, am I right?

David: Thanks, Jason. I guess you could say that, yeah. I’ve ben in the business of writing songs for over 2 decades, and playing guitar for 2 and a half.

Me: When did you first realize you wanted to be a musician?

David: For better or worse, once it landed inside of me, there was no getting it out. At age 8 or 9 I began the obsession, at age 14 or so I began to feel it could be real.

Me: How old were you when you first started playing guitar?

David: Coincidentally I was 14!

Me: Did you start off on doing covers or went straight into songwriting?

David: Oh covers, definitely. All I wanted to do was play guitar, I didn’t care who wrote the songs. At that point I just wanted to be Jimi Hendrix. It wasn’t until I first saw a Neil Young concert, "Live Rust," on VHS that I developed a passion for the actual song. Then Bob Dylan entered my universe, and as with much of the rest of the world, there was no turning back. My songwriting heroes fuelled my need to abandon my hometown and move to New York City, just as they all did at one time or another. Those guys ruined a lot of lives!

Me: You had your music in tons of TV shows... is there a favorite show you had your music played on?

David: Well... They’re not really shows I watch ("Dawson’s Creek," "Joan Of Arcadia," etc…), although I have gone through a "Criminal Minds" phase or two in the past. If I could have a song played in the original "Mod Squad"… that would be something. Or "Better Call Saul."

Me: Do you ever get excited when you hear your music on TV?

David: I drink a 6 pack.

Me: Nice. Alright, you're based in Nashville, right? Is that where you're originally from, David?

David: No, I moved here from Austin, and before that I lived in New York City: a little out of the way place called Long Island City, Queens, which now costs about the same to live in as San Francisco.

Me: But you were born in Canada. What part?

David: Toronto. I also lived in Fredericton, New Brunswick for a couple of years.

Me: Okay, so, I have to ask as I always ask my Canadian guests on the Phile if there are a fan of one of my favorite bands Barenaked Ladies... are you a fan of there’s?

David: Well, I hate to say but they were never really my cup of tea. They are talented and all but a little goofy for me. There was one song I liked… lyin’ in bed just like Brian Wilson did. Some good double bass runs at the end. 

Me: What music do you listen to and who are your influences, David?

David: Music is endless. I first grew up on classic rock and 80s metal, and still love both. Some of the songwriters who’ve directly influenced me the most, however, would be... in no order: Bob Dylan, James McMurtry, Townes Van Zandt, Neil Young, Chris Knight… I love Lydia Loveless, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Cameron McGill, Kevin Gordon, Jon Byrd, Gary Stewart, Hank Sr., Howlin' Wolf, Jeff Buckley, The Who, The Clash, Iggy Pop, Bowie, Jeff Beck, The Allman Brothers (esp. Duane years), Tom Waits, Lucinda Williams, Levon Helm and The Band, The Rolling Stones obviously, Bruce Springsteen. I’ve seen Springsteen live probably a dozen times, and I listen to his music probably more than anyone's. I love Jerry Jeff Walker. And most of the people in between all of them, and most of their informants (influences). All the original rock and roll guys, especially Chuck Berry and his trailblazing poetry. Of course The Beatles. And jazz... Miles, Coltrane, Phil Woods. All day. I have to add get very emotional when I listen to Jeff Buckley and John Lennon. Everyone has their time, but those two deaths are inexplicable, and they both had so much beautiful art left to share with us all. I don’t think I’ll ever get over either death.

Me: What about Foghat?

David: Not so much. Although a buddy of mine is their backup slide guitar player, if they ever play still. I respect anyone who’s able to cultivate a fanbase and still work after so many years.

Me: I have to be honest... My dad was Lonesome Dave from Foghat, but no hard feelings. Haha. They don't have a back up slide player... They have a few back up bass players though. And yeah, they still play.

David: Wow... that is cool! Well, as I said I respect anyone able to cultivate a fan base and keep working all these years. I was just never really a fan who bought the records or anything (although I do dig "Slow Ride").

Me: Alright, would you describe your music as country?

David: I would say there's definitely some country influences there. I wouldn’t. The truth is I’ve never known the correct answer to that question (what genre is your music). I love the fearless storytelling of classic country, especially Texas country, but any genre that somehow also includes Florida Georgia Line is not one that I could accurately associate my songs with. Once it was described as hillbilly rock. I can maybe get behind that.

Me: Your band is called The Stowaways... did you come up with that name or were they already a band like Graham Parker's band The Rumour was already a band?

David: We came up with it. I had a list of 9 or 10 names and we voted on them one night before a gig. Other contenders included Western Rectify and The Ambassadors. I forget the rest.

Me: Are you aware of Graham's work?

David: Yes, but I don’t own any of his records.

Me: So, who is in the band with you, David?

David: My drummer is Joe Dorn. Bass player is Jason Navo. Piano and organ is Michael Webb. Occasionally some others fill in. Caitlin Nicol-Thomas, Marion Grace, Colt Prince, have all been involved as well.

Me: Have they been your backing band the whole time?

David: They’ve been The Stowaways the whole time. I’ve gone though many, many musicians over the years.

Me: One of your albums was based on the movie Ways to Live Forever. Did you do the music for that film?

David: No, I was just asked if they could use one of my songs on the soundtrack. I’ve never seen the film.

Me: Oh. Are you a big movie fan?

David: Sure. I mostly love 70s movies, including the greatest film of all time, Taxi Driver. Other classics include The Warriors, Alan Pakula’s “paranoia trilogy”... All The President’s Men, The Parallax View, and Klute... The French Connection, Lawrence Of ArabiaGoodfellas, Dazed & ConfusedTrue Romance.

Me: Let's talk about the new EP 'The Devil In His Name." I love that EP! How did that song get to be the title track?

David: The EP was going to be called “The Devil Is His Name And Other Assorted Love Songs."  Then at the last moment I decided to streamline it.

Me: I love the artwork on the cover... who did it and who came up with the concept?

David: My unofficial manager has a friend who took a picture of that piece in the National Gallery in Canberra, Australia. It’s by Henri Domo and is called “Flying Angels”. We just liked it. Especially more than picture of me!

Me: Did you write all the music on the EP, David?

David: Yes.

Me: So, when you write a song, what comes first, music or lyrics?

David: Usually one or the other by about 2-10 minutes, then the other catches up.

Me: I love your album "Tennessee." You have a song on there called "Lucinda." Is that about Lucinda Williams?

David: No, but I imagine she looks kind of like her. But even more gypsy. Lots of rings and wild hair, like a fortune teller.

Me: You have another song called "Alena." Who is she?

David: Just the character in the song: a young girl trying to find her way after her family has broken apart. The narrator is her father.

Me: So, "Tennessee" is your only album that is on iTunes. Will "The Devil In His Name" be available on iTunes, David?

David: All of my releases will be available in the store an my newly revamped website, davidnewbould.com. I’ve had one site for over a decade, and this new one is just being finished up. And yes, "The Devil Is His Name" will be on iTunes as well. And eventually all of my previous releases, of which there are 6 including "Tennessee." I am in between online distributors right now. "The Devil Is His Name" EPs release date is May 20th, 2016, by the way.

Me: I saw a video of you playing at the Bluebird Cafe. How do you like playing there?

David: Love it! Always have a great rapport with the crowds there.

Me: Ever see the show "Nashville"? Is the real Bluebird like the one on the show?

David: Yes, they built a replica set, and it is remarkably accurate. I have heard that visiting it is like the twilight zone.

Me: Do you have a favorite gig you have ever played?

David: Every CD release I’ve done has been memorable. Opening for Joe Ely was amazing. Any show where my songs connect with people in the crowd and I enjoy myself is a good night.

Me: So, what's next for you? Any chance you'll come down to Florida to play or do I have to go to Nashville to see you?

David: I’m hoping to get down to Florida this year but it depends on how my booking situation evolves. Nothing’s ever set in stone in my life (beyond my wife and son)! You’re always welcome in Nashville.

Me: Ever been to Dark Horse Studios, David? It's in Franklin, TN.

David: I have not, although we recorded most of this EP at another studio in Franklin, The Sound Shelter.

Me: Alright, thanks so much fore being here on the Phile. Go ahead and mention your website again  and anything else you wanna.

David: That’s davidnewbould.com. Thanks for taking an interest! Follow my on Facebook as well: facebook.com/davidnewbould. Twitter, Instagram… blah blah blah. If you’re in Europe, please request me at any of your Euro Americana sponsored stations, I’ve had wonderful support in that arena.

Me: I really hope this was fun for you and I'd love to have you back here when your EP comes out. Will you?

David: It’s a date. Thanks, Jason, I enjoyed it.

Me: Very cool, take care.





There you go, that about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to David Newbould for a great interview. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Phile Alum and British blues legend Mick Clarke. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.




































Not if it pleases me. No, you can't stop me, not if it pleases me. - Graham Parker

No comments:

Followers