Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Pheaturing David Dover


Hello, welcome to a Wednesday entry of the Phile. It's Hump Day1 Whoo whoo. You know, before Hump Day Wednesday was Prince spaghetti day. Remember?


Shit, I'm showing my bloody age again. What's going on?  A chemistry blog has done the world the service of explaining why bacon smells so amazingly good. The amazing aroma apparently comes from about the 150 chemical compounds that are created when the wunderfood is cooked. How this country has not created a gun made of bacon is beyond me.  Fewer Americans are identifying themselves as Christian than any other time in the nation's history, according to a survey by the Pew Research Center. Only 71 percent of U.S. adults were found to be Christian in 2014, down eight percentage points from seven years earlier. In fact, those whom the poll lists as "unaffiliated"... a group which includes atheists, agnostics and people who can't be bothered to even consider the question... is currently greater than the number of Catholics in the country.  Civil rights icon and slavery abolitionist Harriet Tubman topped an unofficial online poll asking Americans which woman they'd like to see replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill. As awesome as that would be, considering the continued gender inequality in the country, I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up on a $15.60 bill instead. Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill? Way to make the presidents feel awkward when they're stuffed in the same wallet.  A team of Australian genetic engineers are in the process of developing a "super banana," capable of delivering large boosts of Vitamin A to its consumers, potentially saving hundreds of thousands of lives worldwide. It also should be able to contribute to the creation of some really phenomenal smoothies.  Bad news, Simpsons fans: it hasn't been good since the 90s. Also, Homer and Marge are splitting up. Longtime showrunner Al Jean broke the news in an interview with "Variety." In the upcoming season 27 (that's right, 27) premiere, the couple will get a legal separation after Homer's narcolepsy diagnosis puts a strain on their marriage. Then, Homer will fall in love with his pharmacist, voiced by Lena Dunham of "Girls." Knowing the show, they'll probably get back together by the end of the episode. Nor is this the first time their marriage has been in jeopardy. One time Marge threw Homer out for telling a class full of strangers about their sex life, and Homer once filed for divorce so that they could be remarried in style. Then I stopped watching, but there have probably been similar plotlines in the last 20 years. Something like: Homer thinks he's in love with an iPad voiced by Snooki so he gets a job as a life coach. Jean also said that this season will feature a Halloween episode where Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart. And now that voice actor Harry Shearer is leaving the show, it looks like there's plenty of drama going on behind the scenes, too. Let's hope that all of these developments are leading to the one plot twist every fan wants: the show ending. Do I sound bitter? I am. "The Simpsons" made me the man I am today, but it's been a pale shadow of its former self for years. It needs to die.  I have to show you this picture...



Can you believe it? This guy wins $181 million in the lottery and then finds the love of his life just two days later. Talk about luck. Haha. That's so stupid.  A Phile reader sent me this newspaper clip...


Bradley is a smart kid. Yup.  You know, a lot of magazines show celebrities what they look like without makeup. I thought why not do the same... so, check it out.


Hahaha. That's crazy. Okay, kids, and now let's see who took a dirt nap.



Vincent Bugliosi 
August 18th, 1934 — June 8th, 2015
So Vinnie is dead, and that nutjob Manson is somehow still alive? How the hell did that happen? 

Tariq Aziz 
April 28th, 1936 — June 5th, 2015
Tariq is going to reek.




This one is fucking cool. If you spot the Mindphuck let me know. Before we continue I have to show you something cool. This display is at the Tokyo Rock Showcase in Roppongi Tokyo, Japan.


You can check out more at tokyorockshowcase.jp/en/index.html. My dad would think this is very cool. I might have to take a trip to Tokyo now. Ha! Like that's gonna happen. Alright, so, by now you know I live in Florida, right? Well, here in Florida lots of crazy stuff happens. And not all is bad. You'll see in a minute in a pheature I call...



Get ready to cry tears of pure happiness. This heartwarming pet reunion is the news story equivalent of a pile of warm, clean laundry coming to life and giving you a hug. Seven years ago, Julie Arango's Boston Terrier puppy Lola dug a hole under the fence and escaped from their yard in Homestead, Florida. Arango said she and her daughter, Celina, searched for Lola for months with no luck. Even the microchip didn't help bring her home. The Arangos were heartbroken.  Fast forward seven years, when Arango received a phone call from a veterinary clinic in Ft. Lauderdale who told her they had Lola. She couldn't believe it! The vet explained that Lola had been in a loving home for the past seven years, but the owner needed to give her away and posted an ad on Craiglist. Linda Gall answered the Craigslist ad to adopt Lola, and when Gall took the dog to the vet, they discovered the microchip. Ah, yes! The microchip! Technology saves the day! Thanks again for everything, technology, you're always there for us when we need you most.  Julie and Celina Arango are now reunited with their lost lost puppy, and want to pick up right where they left off. Oh, and just in case this story wasn't the most uplifting thing you've read all day, today is Celina's birthday! And she's going to bring Lola with her to college in the fall!


Hey, guys! I'm back! I gotta tell you about all the butts I sniffed while I was gone!



The 37th book to be pheatured in the Phile's Book Club is...


Phile Alum and author will be a guest on the Phile tomorrow.



Today's guest is a musician whose latest CD "Dover Soul" where he does a duet with Chuck Berry is available on iTunes and CDBaby... I wish this blog was called Peverett Soul. Anyway, please welcome to the Phile... David Dover.


Me: Hello, David, welcome to the Phile, sir. How are you?

David: I am good.

Me: I have to tell you, and I am being sincere, your hair is amazing. How long have you had your hair like that, sir? Would you ever cut it?

David: I have no plans to cut my hair off.

Me: Okay, let's talk about your music, which is why you are here, and not to talk about your hair. I downloaded your last album "Dover Soul" and really enjoyed it. It has some very good boogie, rock, blues sounding songs, some spiritual songs and even a duet with Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry?! How the hell did that happen?

David: I got to play with Chuck Berry this way... I am friends with the promoter but the reason we are friends is because I also have a lighting and sound company. I was hired to do all the production for that show.. As in lights and sound, be the opening band and be the band for him. I asked Chuck if it would be okay to record the show and said yes. I brought recording gear that day just in case. It was a moment on rock and roll time that I captured for history. A hundred years from now no one will remember David Dover but they will remember Chuck Berry and I was there that day.

Me: You guys did a duet on "Johnny B. Goode" and I loved it. My dad, if he was alive, would be jealous.

David: That's why I wanted to record it... I did three shows over the years with Foghat. Lonesome Dave was your father?

Me: Yep.

David: That is very cool... I knew him and he was always nice to me when we would meet. 

Me: Cool. Anyway, how was Chuck to work with? That must of been a real thrill. Was that the first time you worked together?

David: That day at the Maybee Center in Tulsa was the one and only time I worked with Chuck. We did get offered to go do other shows with him but I declined to go. I said if Chuck would spring for a nice bus, I would go. He ain't about to come off that kind of money. LOL.

Me: "Dover Soul" is your fifth album, David, how would you compare it to your other albums? 

David: I like "Dover Soul" the best because I am getting better at production and I wrote most of those songs.

Me: When did your first album come out, David? I imagine you've been playing for a long time. 

David: I recorded my first record in 1984. My first album came out in 1989.

Me: I listened to your other albums, and was surprised to hear you recorded the Dave Edmunds song, which Bruce Springsteen wrote, "From Small Things." Are you a Dave Edmunds fan?

David: I have always liked Dave Edmunds... Even before most people really knew who he was.

Me: On some of your songs I hear a John Hiatt resemblance. Has anybody compared you to him before?

David: As far as I know I have not been compared to John Hiatt.

Me: On the album "Seal of Approval" you do an amazing version of "Amazing Grace," which is one of my favorite religious songs ever. I want that song played at my funeral, and I might pick yours. Pretty much on all your albums, you do a few religious or spiritual songs. Is that something that is very important to you? I like it that you mix up your music.

David: On the album "Seal of Approval" I do a couple of spiritual songs. I wish I could sound like a gospel choir when I sing but I do what I can.

Me: You also have a few political songs thrown in. You are definitely proud to be an American, aren't you?

David: I love my country, yes... America does not always do the right thing in the world but I think most peoples intentions here are just and true. It's the government that messes everything up.

Me: So, "Seal of Approval"... where did that title come from?

David: I named the album because it was just a live type deal at a rehearsal and we recorded it. The name comes from the songs my fans wanted me to play a lot. There are no original songs of mine on that one.

Me: A lot of country singers, more then any genre, sing about America. Toby Keith and Lee Greenwood, for example. Do you ever get put into the country genre?

David: I tried my hand at country for a while but no matter where I went, people wanted the Creedence songs and the Bob Seger songs. So they weren't really buying the fact that I was singing country so that didn't last.

Me: You do quite a few Creedence songs, David, why is that? You must be a big CCR fan.

David: I do a lot of Creedence because that's just how my voice comes out. In 1985 I obtained a one year license to be the first Creedence Tribute Band approved by all four members of Creedence. To my knowledge John Fogerty has not let anyone else do that and use the name in advertising.

Me: I am not sure. Fogerty is a friend of yours though, right?

David: He became my friend after that and I still do a lot of his songs.

Me: If you were going to write a song about President Obama, would it be a positive song, or a negative one?

David: I wouldn't write a song about the President if I couldn't be proud to do it and make it positive so I guess I won't be writing about Mr. Obama anytime soon.

Me: Haha. Okay. David, you play a lot of acoustic guitar, but what do you prefer, an electric guitar or acoustic? I take it you play Gibson's as well. I don't know why I take it you do, just an hunch.

David: I play acoustic in the first set. I play an '84 Strat primarily. I have a Gary Moore Signature Les Paul but it seldom ever leaves my house as it has no scratches on it and it is a 2000 model that looks new. My old Strat does what I need from my guitar.

Me: That's the pink one, right?

David: It looks pink but they say it is coral.

Me: You're from Oklahoma, right? Have you lived there all your life? Is that where you record your albums?

David: I record in an old house that I turned into my studio in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Me: Do you go on tour across America often?

David: I have traveled and played other cities and states but not on a large level.

Me: So, what kinda gigs do you do?

David: Just opening for bigger bands a lot... I did the club circuit when I was in my twenties and that is a good age to do that.

Me: Currently you are recording a new album, David, will you have any guests on it like Chuck Berry?

David: I am currently working on my latest album entitled "Legends Myths and Rumors."

Me: Okay, there must be a reason you are calling it that.

David: The reason I am calling it that is every song will have a different legend playing on it.

Me: Can you say who?

David: I have confirmation from some of my music heroes from my younger days saying they will play on it with me. It will be ALL original and all David Dover Tulsa Music. I have two songs finished and I am working on the third now. Rocky Frisco is on both songs and Chuck Blackwell is the drummer on the second song. Jimmy Karstein, David Teegargen, Ed King (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Don White, have all said yes to being on this album with me. I have a few more friends that are harder to track down but I will get them to be on it too. I will send you the songs in a file form for your personal. 

Me: What about John Fogerty? Hey, maybe you can ask him if he wants to be on the Phile.

David: He is very illusive and a little difficult to talk to. He told me he would never sue me for singing his songs and for me to have fun with them.. For a long time he wouldn't sing them and people assumed he was legally bound to stay away from them. Not true. He just wouldn't sing them which is why he let me do it.

Me: David, thanks so much for being on the Phile. Please come back when your new album comes out. I wish you lots of luck and keep doing what you're doing. Take care.

David: Thank you, Jason. More on my history is on my Facebook music page. It's called David Dover and his version of the Tulsa sound.





That about does it for this entry. Thanks to David Dover for a great interview. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Phile Alum and author Patricia Cox. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.





























Not if it pleases me. No, you can't stop me, not if it pleases me. - Graham Parker

No comments:

Followers